Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone taking Celexa?
Question 
Anyone taking Celexa?
My sleep doc wrote me a prescription for Celexa for my anxiety-related insomnia. I haven't started taking it yet, as I'm having second thoughts about taking an SSRI due to possible side effects and withdrawal symptoms.

Is anyone taking it in conjunction with CPAP therapy? Do you see an improvement that makes it worth taking?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone taking Celexa?
(10-09-2015, 08:26 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: My sleep doc wrote me a prescription for Celexa for my anxiety-related insomnia. I haven't started taking it yet, as I'm having second thoughts about taking an SSRI due to possible side effects and withdrawal symptoms.

Is anyone taking it in conjunction with CPAP therapy? Do you see an improvement that makes it worth taking?

Jim,

You might google Celexa and insomnia and find that actually it can cause it in many cases. Personally, an SSRI would be the last med I would take for sleep even if it was anxiety induced.

As far as withdrawal issues, many people do find it hard to get off of but obviously, I can't say that is true of everyone. If you end up on the med long term, it is best to taper very slowly to avoid WD issues.

By they way, I took it many years ago before I ever knew what a cpap machine was. Smile Unfortunately, I had an adverse reaction to a very small amount so I don't have fond memories of it. And let's just say it didn't help sleep.

But obviously, you have to make the decision as to what to do. Best of luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
SSRI medications are usually taken in the morning due to how the can affect sleep. Unless the doc thinks that by making you less anxious during the day that you will sleep better at night, he's nuts. If the prescription is to take it at night, he's insane.

I have taken many varieties of SSRIs over the years and have never had a problem with coming off one and starting another (either another SSRI or another type of anti-depressant). My dosages have been moderate to high.

To treat insomnia, a drug such as Ambien, Lunesta, etc would be better. Combined with an anxiety medication during the day to address that issue (along with counseling).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The prescription doesn't specify a time of day to take it, so I assume it is to be taken in the morning. I don't think the doc is insane; I would have probably noticed that by now (:

I've used Ambien, and it works for a few days, and then the effectiveness wears off quickly. I used to use it during overseas flights with good results. I also found that if I combined it with a drink (just one), it worked better.

I'm currently taking Xanax .25mg at night, but I'm not happy about the recent Harvard study that suggests a correlation between Xanax and Alzheimers. I think I'll discontinue it gradually like I did with the Ambien.

I noticed two of the most common side effects of Celexa include trouble sleeping and anxiety - precisely what I'm trying to treat with it. So why bother?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2015, 01:15 AM)Jim Bronson Wrote: The prescription doesn't specify a time of day to take it, so I assume it is to be taken in the morning. I don't think the doc is insane; I would have probably noticed that by now (:

I've used Ambien, and it works for a few days, and then the effectiveness wears off quickly. I used to use it during overseas flights with good results. I also found that if I combined it with a drink (just one), it worked better.

I'm currently taking Xanax .25mg at night, but I'm not happy about the recent Harvard study that suggests a correlation between Xanax and Alzheimers. I think I'll discontinue it gradually like I did with the Ambien.

I noticed two of the most common side effects of Celexa include trouble sleeping and anxiety - precisely what I'm trying to treat with it. So why bother?

Jim,

If you're concerned about taking Xanax long term, have you considered trying one of the sedating antidepressants that is given at a low dose for sleep?

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2015, 05:41 AM)49er Wrote: Jim,

If you're concerned about taking Xanax long term, have you considered trying one of the sedating antidepressants that is given at a low dose for sleep?

49er

Can you give me some examples? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2015, 12:12 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote:

49er

Trazodone comes to mind. Dose for sleep is 50mg.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2015, 12:12 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote:

49er

Also, check out Amitriptyline, Doxepin, and Remeron.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. I'll mention these to my doc. In the meantime, maybe I'll try the Celexa for a week or two.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 174 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 355 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Taking Home sleep test with snore guard HenryECole81 2 705 10-27-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: eok361
Ohmy [CPAP] Doc taking forever to give me new CPAP settings or BiPAP Apnea45 22 3,375 08-23-2023, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Apnea45
  [CPAP] Taking a look at my chart :) hbvlr 1 450 07-13-2023, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New user keep taking off mask while sleeping hexlabsnick 4 606 06-18-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: hexlabsnick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.