Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Severe dry mouth
Severe dry mouth
Hey, y'all. I'm new to the forum and even though I searched all over this forum I've not found an answer to what I considered to be a common problem. I guess that just shows me that it's maybe not that common. I just started using my machine since being diagnosed with OSA. My pressure is 14 and I use a nose pillow along with a heated humidifier and heated hose. Being retired military has its advantages as far as insurance getting good equipment for me. I have been trying very hard to use my mask all night but I wake up after a few hours with a very dry mouth. It's so bad that I have to stop using the mask and go back to sleep without it. I have heard of Biotene and have used it for dental problems. Does it work for long periods of time? Is there any other product or "trick" I can use to make it better? I am frustrated and am either going to have to get this straight or stop using the machine. Getting older and appreciate the importance of the machine so I'd really like to continue use. Thanks for reading. I hope you guys can help me. Talk to you soon, Boz.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Severe dry mouth
Boz51, Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us what machine you are using?

You can try turning your humidifier up a bit to see if that helps. Biotene is a good product, and if you use it before bed, it should last all night.

The dry mouth can also occur due to mouth breathing. Sometimes our jaw relaxes once asleep, and air will escape. If this is happening, then you may want to try a chin strap.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
a mouth that feels like the sahara dust storm went thru is *probably* due to mouth breathing... chin strap - or master the tongue suck technique.

place tongue behind front teeth on roof of mouth and suck gently to create a slight vacuum. Make a habit of holding your tongue in this position. If you can make this a habit, you will not need a chinstrap.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Boz51,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a chinstrap and see if that helps you. How high is your humidity set? If you have it set fairly low, you might turn it up a notch or two, and if you have it set fairly high, turn it down a notch or two. It seems like I read here on the board that, too much can dry you out, or too little can do the same thing.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Biotene mouthwash works pretty well for me. How long it lasts depends on how long my mouth is open, but I find that it works fine most of the time. You may want to ask your doc about using low-adhesion surgical tape over your mouth. I use it whenever the Biotene doesn't seem to do the job. It is effective for me, but some people may not be comfortable doing it. My doc suggested it or I wouldn't do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
As you have probably noticed there is a common thread to the answers. The root cause of dry mouth is generally mouth breathing/leaking.If you can reduce it then some of the other things like Biotene will help. If you can eliminate the root cause, you will not need anything else.

The methods for eliminating the root cause are a chin strap or Daria's tongue suck technique. Chin straps do nnot work for everyone but there are several different types and if one type does not work another type might.

The tongue block technique works for some. Everyone seems able to do it while awake but not everyone can make it a habit that carries through their sleep. The key to success here seems to be practicing the technique a lot during the day.

Good luck to you.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
With a pressure of 14 you may be pushing the edge of using nasal pillows and want to try a full face mask. I had to "graduate" from nasal pillows and prongs as I aged and needed higher pressures. Have had good success with the Resmed Airfit F-10 full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
The tongue-suck doesn't work for me because I have a palatal torus (bony lump in the roof of my mouth). I've been experimenting with taping my mouth closed using weak tape. It works pretty well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2015, 02:10 PM)robertbuckley Wrote: With a pressure of 14 you may be pushing the edge of using nasal pillows and want to try a full face mask.
I haven't used nasal pillows but would struggle with full face mask above 10 ... YMMV
According to P10 technical specification (page 7) ... Therapy pressure 4 to 20 cm H2O
http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/p...er_eng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 795 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.