Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Concerning Masks...
Concerning Masks...
I have had my CPAP for about a year. Started with a nasal pillows mask because full face felt too confining. Was inconsistent with it, and switched to full face because my mouth kept opening (yes, I tried the velcro straps for the jaw, didn't work. Full face is better, but sometimes I feel claustrophobic / can't get enough air. This leads to almost panic-attack reactions on my part. If I'm tired enough to fall asleep quickly, it works out OK. If I'm awake thinking, then its not good. Any ideas out there for what to do next?

Kind Regards,
Matt
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Concerning Masks...
There's a lot of different chin straps. Some look fairly simple and others seem more advanced.

Which mask are you currently using?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Matt welcome aboard
Try a nasal mask as its not as claustrophobic as full face mask or invasive as nasal pillows mask. Mask is a personal thing everyone one is different. Aciva LT nasal mask works well for me but might be a torture for you or someone else. Good luck in your search for the right mask
Post Reply Post Reply
You might mention this to your MD and ask him to give you a prescription for a sleep med. Another option is to try Melatonin, which can be purchased cheaply OTC at local pharmacy.. Works well for most.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2012, 09:49 PM)mimel Wrote: Full face is better, but sometimes I feel claustrophobic / can't get enough air. This leads to almost panic-attack reactions on my part. If I'm tired enough to fall asleep quickly, it works out OK. If I'm awake thinking, then its not good. Any ideas out there for what to do next?

How long have you been using the full face mask? Are you committed to wearing it whenever you're sleeping? The reason I ask is because you've got to get it out of your mind that the mask is an option. Without it you lead a miserable sleep-deprived life and die early due to a heart attack or stroke.

When you awake and feel panic, and have to take the mask off, get out of bed and read. Take some benadryl, and when you feel sleepy again, put the mask back on and try to go back to sleep.

After a while you'll get used to the mask and the panic will subside.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Or wear it during the day while reading or watching television. With the machine on, of course. It will fit differently when you are sitting up that when you are laying down but it still helps a lot.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If at all possible, resist ripping the mask off when you wake up in a panic. Consciously breathe deeply. Feel the air flowing to reassure yourself that the air is flowing. Breathe enough to hyperventilate. Put your hand in the airstream from the exhaust vent.

Look at the pressure on the display of the CPAP machine and note what it is.

Pull up the edge of the mask and feel the air blasting out around the edge. If it helps you psychologically, lift up the mask without taking it off and breathe around it.

You may simply be still having apenas and need more pressure.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 409 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 495 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 454 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.