Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changed masks, AHI went up. So confused, help?
RE: Changed masks, AHI went up. So confused, help?
(11-06-2015, 09:10 AM)jec335 Wrote: i like the resmed airfit f10. it sits lower on the nose, away from the bridge. i also have to agree, the simplus mask, works for a lot of people that have fit difficulty. fisher paykel makes the foam inserts that sometimes will help a hard to fit bridge. i have not had any luck with hybrid masks

Would you mind expanding on why you didn't like the hybrid? Did it leak as well or was it just uncomfortable?
Post Reply Post Reply

Would leaks cause centrals or hypopneas? Obstructives have gone down and stayed down on the full face mask. I always suspected my mouth openings were interfering with the machine being able to detect events, is that possible?

I returned the mask for an extra small of the same kind, fits a bit better but still leaks out the sides of my nose bridge a bit. Not sure what to do about that, my nose bridge is high and skinny. Also I'm already not swallowing the massive quantity of air that I was on the small, so somehow that was related. I'll give this one a few nights now and try to figure out the fit.
[/quote]

Leaks would not cause centrals. Hypopneas may be possible if it is a large enough leak. Centrals can be the result of major arousals from sleep that could happen from the annoyance of a large leak. These centrals are not the same kind that most people refer to when diagnosing central apnea but they can show up in the data if the data is not being manually reviewed using waveforms (like in a sleep study)

REMZZ mask liners work well for some people with small leak problems (especially around whiskers for men and sometimes for leaks around the eyes. like everything else cpap related it is important to get the right size liners)

Common sense afterthought: Be sure you are not over tightening the mask. Over tightening will cause leak too!
Post Reply Post Reply

Would you mind expanding on why you didn't like the hybrid? Did it leak as well or was it just uncomfortable?
[/quote]

I have tried to fit the hybrid masks and most all come back as not working well. The newest one is the Amera View mask. I personally tried this one and found it uncomfortable, kind of hard to breathe. I am not sure why I didn't like it. Maybe because I had a mask I liked.

Clinically, I don't know why they are not more successful. Maybe it is the structure between the nares and upper lip that can't be easily fit with something that also covers the mouth and rests below the lower lip. There is a lot of bone structure there and for whatever reason it is very hard to fit and in my opinion not comfortable to wear. I have sent one Amera View out (after fitting) recently that has not come back yet, but that is not to say it was successful! I just don't know yet.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2015, 01:41 PM)kameeleun Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 12:54 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Which Quattro are you trying? Does it have the stabilizer that rests on your forehead or not?

I think it's the original. It has a thing on my forehead as well as a knob to adjust the angle of the mask (the knob is why I chose this one, I was hoping it would help). If this doesn't work I'll try one of the masks with the nasal pillows and the mouth part, and leave my dumb nose bridge out of it.

What it sounds like you have is the Mirage Quattro. Have you adjusted the knob at all? There is a good description of "fitting" the Mirage Quattro on a blog. Google "Taming the Mirage Quattro".

I use the Mirage Quattro and have not found anything better for me. We are all different and what works well for one may not for another.

Good luck.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2015, 12:27 PM)kameeleun Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 11:52 AM)PaytonA Wrote: First, it is not unusual for Centrals to increase a bit temporarily when a change is made. Secondly, if you are having trouble controlling leaks and there is time pressure, return the mask for another. Full face masks can require a lot of fiddling to get to where leaks are well controlled but once one has found the sweet spot, they are quite repeatable.

Generally, people who have switched from a FFM to a nasal pillows mask have reported a decrease in AHI so some increase going the other direction would not surprise me.

Centrals are not caused by the mask. A small increase in obstructives when going from nasal pillows to full face mask is probably normal.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Would leaks cause centrals or hypopneas? Obstructives have gone down and stayed down on the full face mask. I always suspected my mouth openings were interfering with the machine being able to detect events, is that possible?

I returned the mask for an extra small of the same kind, fits a bit better but still leaks out the sides of my nose bridge a bit. Not sure what to do about that, my nose bridge is high and skinny. Also I'm already not swallowing the massive quantity of air that I was on the small, so somehow that was related. I'll give this one a few nights now and try to figure out the fit.

Shy Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2015, 11:44 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 01:41 PM)kameeleun Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 12:54 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Which Quattro are you trying? Does it have the stabilizer that rests on your forehead or not?

I think it's the original. It has a thing on my forehead as well as a knob to adjust the angle of the mask (the knob is why I chose this one, I was hoping it would help). If this doesn't work I'll try one of the masks with the nasal pillows and the mouth part, and leave my dumb nose bridge out of it.

What it sounds like you have is the Mirage Quattro. Have you adjusted the knob at all? There is a good description of "fitting" the Mirage Quattro on a blog. Google "Taming the Mirage Quattro".

I have the Res Med Mirage Quatro as well. But I use a Boomerang Gel Pad on my nose bridge because of the pressure that the mask puts on it. Also it can stop the leak at the nose bridge. You just wet it before putting it on, so it stays in place. I hope this helps you.

I use the Mirage Quattro and have not found anything better for me. We are all different and what works well for one may not for another.

Good luck.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Shy Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 331 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 351 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 359 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 222 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.