Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are there any Aetna In-Network DME suppliers that carry Resmed Airsense 10 Autosets?
Are there any Aetna In-Network DME suppliers that carry Resmed Airsense 10 Autosets?
So now that I'm done with the sleep study I get to go on the hunt for an APAP machine. I have Aetna PPO insurance and they provided me with a (dated) list of national mail-order suppliers and a way to search for brick & mortar DME suppliers in my area. The latter is so far hard to find (ones that carry APAP machines, anyway), and the former is a very short list that mostly carries Phillips Respironics machines. I'd like to stay in-network if possible since the sleep study ate up my entire deductible, and I don't know how bad I'll get hammered if I go out of network (likely with a separate deductible so large I'll essentially be paying for the entire unit out of pocket). Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

PS-If you're of the opinion that the Phillips machine is superior to the Airsense, that might be useful depending on how this turns out. I really am leaning towards the Resmed unit due to its smaller footprint (seemingly), more user friendly interface, the convenient pause button, the ClimateLineAir tube, and (honestly) the non-medical styling.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are there any Aetna In-Network DME suppliers that carry Resmed Airsense 10 Autosets?
You can find a more comprehensive list of mail-order suppliers by clicking the Supplier List link at the top of the page. I doubt that the insurance company would care which one you use because the mail-order suppliers don't handle insurance billing. You would have to submit an invoice for reimbursement.

Phillips Respironics machines are generally comparable to ResMed. Right now, there are some good deals on Phillips Respironics System One 60 series machines, which were recently discontinued. In case you're looking for something cheap, supplier no. 2 offers the DS560 APAP for $299, used with humidifier, but you would have to pay another $75 for the heated hose conversion kit if that is important to you. Unfortunately, the System One machines are butt ugly.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are there any Aetna In-Network DME suppliers that carry Resmed Airsense 10 Autosets?
none of the online providers are likely to be in-network. I wish Insurance companies would be more transparent about who you can use. It is probably buried on their website tho.

http://www.aetna.com/dse/search?site_id=...abKey=tab1

you have to go to the bottom of the 1st column under hospitals and facilities and expand "more" then choose medical equipment and then enter your zip

If you were in Oregon like me, "Providence Home Medical Equipment" would be among your choices and they have standardized on Resmed APAPs. they were issuing the S9 when I got mine, but I suspect that has changed by now. So... it is possible.

If you have to pay 20%, get the amount from them outright - your 20% could come close to paying for a machine on your own - + Insurance companies like to lease them for a year and you pay 20% of the DME's contracted lease amount.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Whew, looks like I'm in luck! I just gave Apria a call and they said that Resmed Airsense units are now "standard issue" for their customers! Smile I'll give an update once I'm through with the process with unit in hand. For now they gave me a laundry list of stuff they want from my doc's office and slight mods to the script.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not going to lambast Apria, but you should be aware that many people have had problems with Apria not following through. Be sure if you are forced into a rental (and don't have Medicare) that you add to the contract some kind of words that state that Apria has 60 days to contact you about billing issues regarding your rental. Make sure the Apria manager SIGNS it along with you. Make sure you have a copy of that contract before you leave. What I've seen on the internet is Apria coming back months later saying that they haven't been paid by your insurance company for 6 months and you are now responsible for the whole thing in excess of hundreds of dollars more than if you bought the unit outright at an online retailer. Their reply is often "well, you signed it.".
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to ask them "Which Airsense" since it comes in a brick model - (CPAP), a straight CPAP with data (Elite) and the Autoset APAP
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to clarify this once the paperwork clears, but in my initial conversation over the phone I mentioned that I wanted the AutoSet and that the doc wrote on my script "If possible, issue patient AutoPAP that can be set to 8" and the rep said that should be sufficient. Fingers crossed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2015, 10:19 PM)StoopidMonkey81 Wrote: PS-If you're of the opinion that the Phillips machine is superior to the Airsense, that might be useful depending on how this turns out.

Well my DME supplier gave me a Resmed A10 Autoset but the lady who gave it to me said that she still thought the Philips Resperonic machines are better. But the head office decided on Resmed.

I think each brand has different strengths and weaknesses but they are both "good enough" so long as you get the data capable auto setting machines and not the single pressure no data bricks the same companies also supply.

For Resmed the consensus around here seems to be that the "For Her" version of the A10 autoset is the best machine of the A10 line. I can't say if they are right since I don't have that.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2015, 10:19 PM)StoopidMonkey81 Wrote: So now that I'm done with the sleep study I get to go on the hunt for an APAP machine. I have Aetna PPO insurance and they provided me with a (dated) list of national mail-order suppliers and a way to search for brick & mortar DME suppliers in my area. The latter is so far hard to find (ones that carry APAP machines, anyway), and the former is a very short list that mostly carries Phillips Respironics machines. I'd like to stay in-network if possible since the sleep study ate up my entire deductible, and I don't know how bad I'll get hammered if I go out of network (likely with a separate deductible so large I'll essentially be paying for the entire unit out of pocket). Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

PS-If you're of the opinion that the Phillips machine is superior to the Airsense, that might be useful depending on how this turns out. I really am leaning towards the Resmed unit due to its smaller footprint (seemingly), more user friendly interface, the convenient pause button, the ClimateLineAir tube, and (honestly) the non-medical styling.

AeroCare is in Aetna's network and can get you the Resmed Machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 22 435 18 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,807 3 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,612 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,803 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,182 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.