Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Long term effects of CPAP therapy
Long term effects of CPAP therapy
My sleep study documented an AHI = 32, which is in the severe apnea range; however, many of those must have been hypopneas rather than apneas because my wife says I rarely snored, except on weekends when I generally enjoy alcoholic beverages.

Now she says as soon as I fall asleep without a mask, I snore. So, if it falls off or switches off at night she wakes me up immediately to put it back on. I don't know if she was just conditioned to it, and now that I've been using CPAP for 4 months and thus am as "quiet as a mouse" she just now notices it immediately when I snore. Or, is it possible that CPAP therapy is changing the tissues and/or muscles in my nasal cavity and throat to perform even worse without the therapy than they were before I ever started?

I'm concerned about this because I'm currently on a path to lose a significant amount of weight, and I'm hoping after I lose the weight that therapy will no longer be necessary. So, I don't want to permanently change my respiratory system such that I will always be reliant on therapy. I know that you don't have to be overweight to have sleep apnea, but it is a risk factor. And when I leaner in my younger days, I never even snored.

Has anyone else ever been concerned about this, or have a personal account to share?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Long term effects of CPAP therapy
It's more like that you are sleeping on your back more often. I also don't discount the fact that now that your wife is used to the silence, she awakens with the snores. I find the same thing after several years of listening to my late Dad's oxygen concentrator.

CPAP therapy doesn't cause your condition to worsen. Loss of weight can actually worsen the condition, as it did in my case, but not necessarily forever, depending on your age. If you are a young person and get down to normal weight, you have a good probability of not needing a cpap IF your condition was caused by excessive weight in the first place. For young people (those under 40), your tissues will often shrink back rather than remain 'flabby.'

I lost 30 pounds and my very mild apnea (mostly RERAs) worsened considerably after that and in a very short time. I'm in my 50s, so I'm pretty confident that further weight loss will never get me off CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is little or no evidence to support your concern, and I would hazard a guess that you did indeed snore only now, because of the paucity of it, your wife notices it more. Weight loss alone will not be sufficient to free yourself of sleep apnoea, if it is weight related. You would also have to do exercises to tone your throat muscles, learning the digeridoo is a both popular and effective way to do so.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 04:39 PM)DocWils Wrote: There is little or no evidence to support your concern, and I would hazard a guess that you did indeed snore only now, because of the paucity of it, your wife notices it more. Weight loss alone will not be sufficient to free yourself of sleep apnoea, if it is weight related. You would also have to do exercises to tone your throat muscles, learning the digeridoo is a both popular and effective way to do so.

I know there is "little to no evidence," which is why I am trying to get grass roots, anecdotal type information from people on the board.

The didgeridoo? Seriously? I'm sure my wife would probably rather listen to me snore than practice that. Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
I have no idea what Didgeridoo is.

Cheers, otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 04:58 PM)otrpu Wrote: I have no idea what Didgeridoo is.

Cheers, otrpu
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Didgeridoo

Post Reply Post Reply
Now here's some didgeridoo!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRBCzUPDUVA
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Since starting clap I have lost 80 pounds and have gotten in fairly decent shape. Still have to use clap. It did drop my pressure by almost half. I really would like to have come off my machine but at my age(53) I just don't think it is going to happen
Post Reply Post Reply
Possum,
Although, I don't believe that weight loss will free you from CPAP use, please don't let that discourage you from losing that weight.

Depending on your age and your current medical history, losing weight could possibly
prevent some major illnesses, like heart disease, diabetes, knee problems, stroke, etc.

I've lost a little over 30 lbs this last year, but I didn't do it with the idea that I'd be free from CPAP. I just want to be around for my family.

I've been fortunate at my age and being overweight for years that I haven't had any major medical problems other than sleep apnea. Ok, well arthritis, but it could be a lot worse. :grin:
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The didgeridoo looks like it could be fun! My neighbors may not like it though! Thinking-about
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 220 2 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 66 1,048 2 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  michaelyu15 - Therapy Help michaelyu15 18 370 3 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 72 Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,354 Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 597 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 166 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.