Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Humidifier Resmed Airsense 10 - Empty fast
RE: Humidifier Resmed Airsense 10 - Empty fast
You can 'train' your tongue to stick against the roof of your mouth using natural suction. I didn't believe this was possible, but it is. This eliminates dry mouth caused by the jaw dropping open. If that doesn't work, then you will need either a chin strap or light adhesive tape over your mouth. The tape method works, but some people don't like the sensation of their mouth being taped shut. The chin strap method works too, but again, it depends whether you can tolerate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 08:28 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(11-15-2015, 04:02 AM)berniw Wrote: One thing though, my mouth is still dry this morning. I'm trying to eliminate dry mouth but it's just as bad as no humidifier.

Have you given any thought to the fact that you are mouth breathing. Even with a full face mask, that can cause dry mouth. You may need a chin strap.

Opal, how does mouth breathing show up in the Sleepyhead reports? As a leak? Or something else?
Post Reply Post Reply
Mouth breathing with a full face mask does not show up in Sleepyhead as far as I know. It shows up as dry mouth. I use a full face mask and not too long ago had to add a chin strap to it to prevent dry mouth. I had been using the tongue seal previously but for some reason "unlearned" that and could not seem to relearn it. The addition of the chin strap stopped the dry mouth immediately.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again everyone, so it looks like I've been mouth open then. I'll look at a chin strap..... I think with my old mask I used to keep my mouth shut. It must be the new mask that's causing my mouth to open.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 02:23 PM)berniw Wrote: Thanks again everyone, so it looks like I've been mouth open then. I'll look at a chin strap..... I think with my old mask I used to keep my mouth shut. It must be the new mask that's causing my mouth to open.
If you're using full face mask as shown in your profile, not a problem open or breathing through your mouth, that is the way the mask suppose to work. If you want keep your mouth closed, get a nasal mask or nasal pillows mask, with these types of mask, you'll need to keep mouth closed and breathe only through your nose
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 03:02 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-15-2015, 02:23 PM)berniw Wrote: Thanks again everyone, so it looks like I've been mouth open then. I'll look at a chin strap..... I think with my old mask I used to keep my mouth shut. It must be the new mask that's causing my mouth to open.
If you're using full face mask as shown in your profile, not a problem open or breathing through your mouth, that is the way the mask suppose to work. If you want keep your mouth closed, get a nasal mask or nasal pillows mask, with these types of mask, you'll need to keep mouth closed and breathe only through your nose

I don't think I could ever get used to a nasal one. My other full face was a F & P Simplus, I never experienced dry mouth. But the problem with that one was the plastic forehead frame used to hurt my forehead and wake me up through the night despite how loose or tight the headgear was.

Think chinstrap might be a solution. Bedtime is getting quite complex for me now. Ha.Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 01:48 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:
(11-15-2015, 08:28 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(11-15-2015, 04:02 AM)berniw Wrote: One thing though, my mouth is still dry this morning. I'm trying to eliminate dry mouth but it's just as bad as no humidifier.

Have you given any thought to the fact that you are mouth breathing. Even with a full face mask, that can cause dry mouth. You may need a chin strap.

Opal, how does mouth breathing show up in the Sleepyhead reports? As a leak? Or something else?

Don't know exactly, I have been trying to find info on this very subject to see if you can tell from a flow rate graph and leak rate graph as to the shape of the breathing pattern/peaks whether it is a mask leak or mouth breathing. I think it may show up on the flow graph as a flat top instead of round top. Someone else may know the answer.

A lot of folk mouth breath regardless of type of mask, and this can leave you with a very dry mouth. If O.P. has made the adjustments to the humidifier and still has dry mouth, then mouth breathing is most likely the issue.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 03:18 PM)berniw Wrote: Think chinstrap might be a solution.
I use chinstrap too, but using nasal mask
Full face mask never worked for me, leaked like a sieve ... YMMV

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 03:02 PM)zonk Wrote:

All true, breathing or leaking through your mouth while wearing a full face mask does nothing deleterious to one's therapy (there is no loss of therapeutic pressure). It can, however, lead to dry mouth from all of the air going through one's mouth. I know this to be true from first hand experience.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 04:14 PM)PaytonA Wrote: All true, breathing or leaking through your mouth while wearing a full face mask does nothing deleterious to one's therapy (there is no loss of therapeutic pressure). It can, however, lead to dry mouth from all of the air going through one's mouth. I know this to be true from first hand experience.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
I'm with you on this one but if you're going to close your mouth while using full face mask, obviously you'll breathing through your nose, no other way to get some air into the lungs Smile

Certainly, full face mask have a place but if you've no problem (some do) breathing through your nose, wondering if would make more AirSense using nasal or nasal pillows mask

Best regards and Coffee to you, too

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 492 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,843 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,633 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,836 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 230 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,201 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.