Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Successful apnea surgery now failing 1.5 years later
RE: Successful apnea surgery now failing 1.5 years later
Wow! I only read a little bit but that is just amazing. There are some surgeons out there that should have some other things excised so they can see how well they get along without them.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a UPPP back in 2006, which worked well until about 2010, 2011. However, I wasn't sorry I did it because I actually wanted my constantly infected tonsils removed, and being diagnosed with sleep apnea was the only way my insurance company would allow the surgery.Rolleyes Unfortunately, that meant I didn't take the diagnosis of sleep apnea very seriously until my colonoscopy last year. I scared them silly because my breathing kept stopping. The doctor insisted I get a sleep apnea test. I was diagnosed with severe OSA, 50 incidents per hour. Now that I've been using a CPAP machine I can't believe how much more energy I have and how much better I'm sleeping, although it's only been since mid November, so I'm still having some hiccups and making adjustments. I'd be interested in knowing the percentage of folks where UPPP fails, I'm guessing it's pretty high.
Post Reply Post Reply
Adding to the surgery discussion.

I was diagnosed with SA in the early 1980's after going to the doctor because I was falling asleep at stoplights and in meetings. I had been a horrible snorer all my life (one of my army buddies tried to smother me with a pillow in the barracks - eventually they had to put me in a private room lol). xPAP was not available or not well known at that time, so my ENT, Dr. "laughing Ed" Schroff - we called him that because he was always so jolly - said nasopharyngoplasty and UPP was the solution. We did it.

The recovery was not pleasant, and toast crumbs still can get into my lungs, but the surgery did work and improved my SA and snoring for at least 20 years. Eventually, as others have found the SA slowly returned. The other surgical option, where they move your jaw forward was completely unappealing, so I turned to APAP. My AHI is usually under 1, I have pep in my step, and I do not snore.

At the original onset, I had no choice of remedies, but these days I would not have the surgery again, even though it worked far longer for me than many other posters.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, that has got to be frustrating. My sister had similar surgery (no UPPP) and is just past her 5 year mark and still no cpap need. I think she is just one of the lucky ones because her ENT told her that she would need the cpap after surgery - that this doesn't cure it (she needed surgery because the deviated septum was causing problems).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 4 62 9 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 60 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 617 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 183 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,020 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.