Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Your opinion on these machines...
RE: Your opinion on these machines...
I have two S-9s sitting unused in the closet (well one began making funky bearing noises so I replaced it with a RP System One Auto. I would take the PR System One auto and not look back. The S-9 looks sexy, but it has a lot of quirks and I think the RP System One is just a better performer.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2016, 04:18 PM)Geniale Wrote: Another question... should I request a titration study in order to determine the optimal range of pressure for me? Right now, I was just given 5-20 cm H2O, but that seems very vague as it's pretty much the range of the machine.

Hi Geniale,

Yes, if the titration would be free, I suggest getting on the waiting list for the titration study. May learn something useful.

But in the meantime, I suggest there is no need to wait before using your machine.

As soon as it arrives, you can start using it for perhaps an hour while watching TV or reading, for perhaps a day or two, just to get used to using it. Be careful moving the machine if using the humidifier. (Before moving the machine, carefully take the water tank out!)

Some people need to ease slowly into CPAP therapy, but most have no trouble other than finding a comfortable mask which does not leak too much.

Some DME's and some on-line suppliers will offer (for small a fee) mask return insurance, allowing us to return a mask if it turns out not to work well for us. This is a common problem, so I suggest buying the mask return insurance is usually a smart move when ordering a new style of mask for the first time.

You can start with the prescribed range of 5-20. At first, most people do not have a problem starting with a low Min Pressure like 5, but often, as our breathing muscles gain strength (sometimes takes a couple weeks for some initial soreness/stiffness to go away), we may find we are more comfortable (it is easier to breathe in) when the Min Pressure is a little higher, like 6 or higher.

If the machine raises the pressure too high for comfort, perhaps causing us to swallow air at first, it may make sense to lowering the Max Pressure and then raise the Max Pressure a little higher each week as we become more used to sleeping with CPAP.

Good luck, and let us know how things are going.

--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check your PROne when it arrives as I think it should have the A-trial setting which is effectively a home titration study which the machine performs over a time scal you can set. At the end of the trial the machine reverts to a straight cpap setting. Note what this setting is and set your auto for a range which comfortably encompasses this setting.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what.
(Professor Sir Arthur Eddington, astrophysicist)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, I just received the machine today, it does effectively have an auto-trial mode.
What is the difference between Auto-CPAP mode and CPAP-Check mode?

My appointment for getting fitted for a mask is next Tuesday. Is there anything in particular I should check for, ask, and/or avoid?
Post Reply Post Reply
Auto CPAP adjusts pressure, during therapy in response to any events. The pressure may go up or down several times during the night. It will vary the pressure within the set limits.
CPAP-Check, monitors long time effectiveness of the therapy and based on the results of the last 30 hours, than alters the pressure up or down in small increments (.5 cmH2O ?). It will not change the pressure by more than 3cmH2O from the pressure that was set.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2016, 01:24 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Auto CPAP adjusts pressure, during therapy in response to any events. The pressure may go up or down several times during the night. It will vary the pressure within the set limits.
CPAP-Check, monitors long time effectiveness of the therapy and based on the results of the last 30 hours, than alters the pressure up or down in small increments (.5 cmH2O ?). It will not change the pressure by more than 3cmH2O from the pressure that was set.

That makes A LOT more sense than it did in the instruction manual, many thanks!

I'm guessing all of the info on the site will start being much clearer once I actually start treatment and studying my own charts on Sleepyhead.

Tuesday can't come quick enough... I have high hopes for my PAP treatment and am eager to start so I can begin feeling better because right now, I just feel miserable. It's so much harder to wait now that I have the machine sitting on my nightstand but no mask to try it out with!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, I have another question/concern that perhaps you experts can assist me with...

Whenever I wear anything tight around my head (ex. headband, hat, ponytail), it gives me a massive headache. So, the idea of wearing a mask is a little daunting. I do believe I mouth breathe (and drool) on occasion. Are there masks that put less pressure on the crown than others?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2016, 11:33 AM)Geniale Wrote: Actually, I have another question/concern that perhaps you experts can assist me with...

Whenever I wear anything tight around my head (ex. headband, hat, ponytail), it gives me a massive headache. So, the idea of wearing a mask is a little daunting. I do believe I mouth breathe (and drool) on occasion. Are there masks that put less pressure on the crown than others?

Are you going for a mask fitting on Tuesday? Call ahead and explain what you just said here. They should be able to accomadate you and show you different styles.

Full face masks and some nasal masks will have straps to deal with. The option with the least/minimal straps is the ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask, but if you are a mouth breather, you may need a chin strap and that may give you a headache.

Check the supplier list above, and pull up photos of different masks to see which would cause you the least tension on your crown. Good luck.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Geniale, you may be a good candidate for the Tap Pap mask

Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you OpalRose, I will do just that and mention these at my fitting on Tuesday.

(01-28-2016, 12:09 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Geniale, you may be a good candidate for the Tap Pap mask

It looks very interesting, has anyone here tried it? I can't seem to find any reviews...

My only concern about the mouthpiece is that I have a very sensitive gag reflex (I have lots of quirks, I know Unsure ) and if it goes too far back, I will have trouble with it. When I had orthodontic treatment younger, I could never last the night with the custom mouthpiece they gave me because I would wake up gagging. Sometimes brushing my teeth makes me gag.

Another issue I'd worry about with the Tap Pap is that I always sleep with my hands in front of my mouth, though I figure I may have to find a way to change that habit once I start PAP treatment!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 672 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Second opinion on a sleep study spudhorse 18 962 01-09-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 498 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 595 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,123 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,018 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.