Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone also have parasomnias or hypnogogic
Anyone also have parasomnias or hypnogogic
Hi, sometimes I also wake up (almost) thinking someone is in the room or I am drowning - and I can't move for a few seconds. I also fall asleep and wake up 20 minutes later thinking I see jellyfish coming down from ceiling.
Weird, I know.
Just wondering if anyone has any other sleep conditions.....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone also have parasomnias or hypnogogic
(01-18-2016, 08:52 PM)Lindz Wrote: Hi, sometimes I also wake up (almost) thinking someone is in the room or I am drowning - and I can't move for a few seconds. I also fall asleep and wake up 20 minutes later thinking I see jellyfish coming down from ceiling.
Weird, I know.

I believe it's what is called "night terrors". It is a sleep disorder and many experience this.

It would be best to discuss this with you doctor.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2016, 08:52 PM)Lindz Wrote: Hi, sometimes I also wake up (almost) thinking someone is in the room or I am drowning - and I can't move for a few seconds. I also fall asleep and wake up 20 minutes later thinking I see jellyfish coming down from ceiling.
Weird, I know.

I had something similar in my 20's. I'd "wake up" rise from the bed (or so it seemed) and try to flip the light on and then suddenly there I was back in bed! This would happen two or three times until I actually woke up.

I also used to wake up in the morning feeling unable to breath and unable to move for some time. Then I would actually wake up, but it was kind of scary. Back then I had never heard of sleep apnea and this only happened to me consciously when I actually woke up in the morning.

This kind of thing is fairly common I believe, but you should definitely discuss it with your doctor. I wish I had all those years ago.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have had similar things happen for years and have become almost used to it. I read somewhere it's more likely to occur when you sleep on your back but that could be entirely wrong... Ask your doctor, his guess is probably better than ours! Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually start "seeing" images and "hearing" sounds just around the time I finally fall asleep. A face will just pop up or I'll hear a voice somewhere.

Back in 2012 when I was in emergency having extreme levels of potassium drained from my body I would see the most fabulous patterns whenever I closed my eyes, but I didn't fall asleep and could clearly hear what was going on around me all night. Well, if you have to very nearly die of something I can recommend potassium poisoning so long as you take care not to actually die! Completely without pain even though my heart could have stopped at any moment from the potassium. Didn't know about that bit until after I survived, of course.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 07:25 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Back in 2012 when I was in emergency having extreme levels of potassium drained from my body I would see the most fabulous patterns whenever I closed my eyes, but I didn't fall asleep and could clearly hear what was going on around me all night. Well, if you have to very nearly die of something I can recommend potassium poisoning so long as you take care not to actually die! Completely without pain even though my heart could have stopped at any moment from the potassium. Didn't know about that bit until after I survived, of course.

Sorry for the off-topic question, but I'm just wondering how one gets potassium poisoning?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 07:34 PM)Possum Wrote: Sorry for the off-topic question, but I'm just wondering how one gets potassium poisoning?

Too many bananas? ooo ooo ooo eee eee eee.... Bigwink
Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana

presumably... by taking potassium supplements
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 07:34 PM)Possum Wrote: Sorry for the off-topic question, but I'm just wondering how one gets potassium poisoning?

In my case it was apparently mostly the wrong diuretic - one of the "potassium sparing" ones. This was recommended by an endocrinologist who saw me for type II diabetes.

And I was fine on it for twenty years or so but at some point the potassium built up slowly to toxic levels.

Probably the amount of potassium chloride salt substitute had something to do with it. Also "low sodium" foods which I discovered later have a whole pile of potassium added to preserve the salty taste - this is a salt too, "potassium chloride", but they never mention it in the advertising in big print on the front of the package. Now I always read the ingredient labels...

Turns out high potassium is even worse than high sodium, at least in my case. Of course too low a potassium level is also dangerous.

These days, even though I take diuretics that tend to drain potassium my levels are still around 5, which is the top end of normal. I guess something in the diuretic retrained my kidneys or something.

Anyway, three days in a hospital bed with a catheter up where nothing should go and intravenous Lasix isn't a whole lot of fun, but it beats a heart attack. No pain at all the whole time.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.