Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy machine
RE: Noisy machine
(04-05-2016, 05:02 PM)dizzyliz474 Wrote: They are technically correct

I don't know why you feel they are "technically correct" when the machine manuals themselves have instructions on what to do when used for multiple patients... for example, from the airsense 10 manual:

Resmed Wrote:Reprocessing
When the device is used for multiple patients, for example, in a sleep lab, clinic, hospital or at a health care provider, the cleanable water tub, air outlet and air tubing should be reprocessed between each patient use.
If the cleanable water tub or the air tubing are being used for a single user in the home, refer to the cleaning instructions in this guide or in the User Guide.
Described here are ResMed’s recommended and validated procedures for cleaning and disinfecting the cleanable water tub, air outlet and air tubing. However, the steps for disinfection vary regionally and each healthcare facility should consult its own procedures before carrying out those within this guide.
Note: The standard water tub cannot be disinfected. If contaminated, it must be discarded and replaced with a new water tub.

Surface disinfection
1. Wipe the exterior of the device including display, externally accessible ports, power supply unit and accessories with a disposable cloth and mild detergent or alcohol disinfectant (see list below).
2. Remove any excess disinfectant with a disposable dry cloth.
Agents recommended for surface disinfection and cleaning:
  • Warm water and mild detergent eg, Teepol TM multipurpose detergent
  • Window cleaner or other premixed surface detergent
  • Methyl alcohol solution
  • 70% Ethyl alcohol solution
  • 70-90% Isopropanol solution
  • 10% Bleach solution
  • Isopropyl wipes
  • CaviCide TM
  • Mikrozid ®
  • Actichlor TM Plus
  • Terralin ®
Note: Agents may not be available in all regions.

and, that's *all* there is about reprocessing the machine itself between different users.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2016, 06:30 PM)palerider Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 05:02 PM)dizzyliz474 Wrote: They are technically correct

I don't know why you feel they are "technically correct" when the machine manuals themselves have instructions on what to do when used for multiple patients... for example, from the airsense 10 manual:

Resmed Wrote:Reprocessing
When the device is used for multiple patients, for example, in a sleep lab, clinic, hospital or at a health care provider, the cleanable water tub, air outlet and air tubing should be reprocessed between each patient use.
If the cleanable water tub or the air tubing are being used for a single user in the home, refer to the cleaning instructions in this guide or in the User Guide.
Described here are ResMed’s recommended and validated procedures for cleaning and disinfecting the cleanable water tub, air outlet and air tubing. However, the steps for disinfection vary regionally and each healthcare facility should consult its own procedures before carrying out those within this guide.
Note: The standard water tub cannot be disinfected. If contaminated, it must be discarded and replaced with a new water tub.

Surface disinfection
1. Wipe the exterior of the device including display, externally accessible ports, power supply unit and accessories with a disposable cloth and mild detergent or alcohol disinfectant (see list below).
2. Remove any excess disinfectant with a disposable dry cloth.
Agents recommended for surface disinfection and cleaning:
  • Warm water and mild detergent eg, Teepol TM multipurpose detergent
  • Window cleaner or other premixed surface detergent
  • Methyl alcohol solution
  • 70% Ethyl alcohol solution
  • 70-90% Isopropanol solution
  • 10% Bleach solution
  • Isopropyl wipes
  • CaviCide TM
  • Mikrozid ®
  • Actichlor TM Plus
  • Terralin ®
Note: Agents may not be available in all regions.

and, that's *all* there is about reprocessing the machine itself between different users.
Ok, so if I've had this machine for 10 years, (other than being told to replace machine every 5 years...which I wasn't told until last year) I can donate it to who? because the company site I looked at indicated they wanted only "lightly used" machines under 2000 hours! Since I know now it can be cleaned.
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2016, 06:53 PM)Luvmyzzz Wrote: Ok, so if I've had this machine for 10 years, (other than being told to replace machine every 5 years...which I wasn't told until last year) I can donate it to who? because the company site I looked at indicated they wanted only "lightly used" machines under 2000 hours! Since I know now it can be cleaned.

I don't think I can discuss this on this forum...
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2016, 05:21 PM)Luvmyzzz Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 05:02 PM)dizzyliz474 Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 01:08 PM)palerider Wrote: you got it in one, bunkum Wink

They are technically correct and just covering their backs when asked for advice of this sort, in the event of anything being passed between users they can safely say they advised against it. But hey I passed one onto someone and keep another at my daughters for when I have a sleepover. Yes I have purchased three machines in 15 years, all working fine just wanted upgrades and considering I got my last one in US for a third of the cost of one here in Australia. And yes sales reps will give you info though technically correct, I was told here that my US purchased one would not be covered by warranty and yes bunkum Dancing

Thanks DizzyLizz, my old one is 10 years old, but the web site that takes used ones, want devises that are not a year old, and "lightly used" Mine has NEVER been around smoke, we don't do that... so I guess I'm stuck with it.
R

That's a laugh considering these machines are (or should be) used all night every night, hardly comes under " lightly used" Don't think of it as stuck with it, I used to have that mindset and it did bug me I couldn't get rid of it, think of it as a spare if you need to go for an overnight stay somewhere, it's already packed and ready to roll, so no need to pack up your current one Sleep-wellSleep-well
Dizzyliz  Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2016, 07:12 PM)dizzyliz474 Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 05:21 PM)Luvmyzzz Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 05:02 PM)dizzyliz474 Wrote: They are technically correct and just covering their backs when asked for advice of this sort, in the event of anything being passed between users they can safely say they advised against it. But hey I passed one onto someone and keep another at my daughters for when I have a sleepover. Yes I have purchased three machines in 15 years, all working fine just wanted upgrades and considering I got my last one in US for a third of the cost of one here in Australia. And yes sales reps will give you info though technically correct, I was told here that my US purchased one would not be covered by warranty and yes bunkum Dancing

Thanks DizzyLizz, my old one is 10 years old, but the web site that takes used ones, want devises that are not a year old, and "lightly used" Mine has NEVER been around smoke, we don't do that... so I guess I'm stuck with it.
R

That's a laugh considering these machines are (or should be) used all night every night, hardly comes under " lightly used" Don't think of it as stuck with it, I used to have that mindset and it did bug me I couldn't get rid of it, think of it as a spare if you need to go for an overnight stay somewhere, it's already packed and ready to roll, so no need to pack up your current one Sleep-wellSleep-well

Thanks DizzyLizz, I could do just that! Leave it at a family member's house in the closet for me when I visit! One LESS bag to carry-on or worry about! Eat-popcorn
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was hoping to get back to the original question since I too have noticed my machine (resmed auto) getting noisier and noisier. I notice it particularly when I breath. Now I will have to pay attention as to whether that was in or out.

I too thought of pulling the unit apart and using compressed air to see if I could clean it or it could be a bearing with the extra back pressure? I could not find a service manual to see if it made reference to the noise. Any other thoughts out there?
Post Reply Post Reply
My Respironics Remstar Auto System One started making a lot of noise at about 6500-7000 hours. It got so bad at 7500 hours that I was about to throw it away, until....   The noise was a vibrating noise that spiked between inhale and exhale. When it first started bothering me, I found that if I pressed on the top of the unit, the noise would go away, so I got some temporary relief by putting an elastic band around the unit. But the noise returned and despite any elastic configuration, it became unbearable. A firm hand pressure on the top of the unit would quiet it, but that is hardly conducive to sleeping. 

Here's how I solved the problem:  I took the pump unit apart--not the humidifier unit. There are two long torx screws, I think T-15.  You pull off the control knob and lift the top cover off, revealing a clear plastic case for the black, round motor.  I took the top of the clear case off, with another torx driver, I think T-10. I pulled the motor up and put three green felt sticky round cushions under the motor, placing them near the mounting holes. These sticky felt rounds are designed to stick to the bottom of a flower pot, etc. Reassembled with every screw tightened well, and, voila! No noise whatsover.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,155 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,388 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 389 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,419 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 2 16,676 06-02-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,791 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.