Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any advice on talking my Dr into the Auto machine?
RE: Any advice on talking my Dr into the Auto machine?
Don't forget that if you have a machine that doesn't adjust, you're even more on the hook to come in for profitable office visits and sleep labs to keep your CPAP properly adjusted as your needs change.

Even if the doctor doesn't personally think that way consciously, the system will latch on to any reason that generates more profits. His colleagues will badmouth auto CPAP and CPAP data any chance they get. Any downsides to APAP will be emphasized and plusses will be downplayed.

It's sort of like giving you short time periods on prescriptions and requiring office visits and tests to get refills. Yes, there are valid reasons for doing this, but if you don't think profit motive plays a part, you're out of your mind. "Hello meal ticket, how are you doing, your tests look good, here's your prescription, CA-CHING, next patient."
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2012, 11:53 PM)archangle Wrote: Don't forget that if you have a machine that doesn't adjust, you're even more on the hook to come in for profitable office visits and sleep labs to keep your CPAP properly adjusted as your needs change.

Even if the doctor doesn't personally think that way consciously, the system will latch on to any reason that generates more profits. His colleagues will badmouth auto CPAP and CPAP data any chance they get. Any downsides to APAP will be emphasized and plusses will be downplayed.

It's sort of like giving you short time periods on prescriptions and requiring office visits and tests to get refills. Yes, there are valid reasons for doing this, but if you don't think profit motive plays a part, you're out of your mind. "Hello meal ticket, how are you doing, your tests look good, here's your prescription, CA-CHING, next patient."

I my be a cynic, but I believe that this has a lot to do with it.
The center I'm going to does the sleep study, has you follow up with their doctor, then with their therapist and they provide the equipment.
The doctor actually told me that there have been lots of studies done and they don't show that APAP works any better for most people.
He also told me that heated hoses don't do any good ??
Dr. told me to come back in a month - the receptionist set me up for an appt. with the therapist right afterwards as well.
I see them making lots of money.
Post Reply Post Reply
Archangle, I had a straight CPAP machine for five years during which time I didn't return to the doc (wasn't required) also never heard from the clinic and thought my therapy was going well (it wasn't but my brick couldn't tell me otherwise). So, for that period, there was no Ca-Ching going on at all. It was only after Medicare changed their requirements that I discovered I couldn't try out a different mask without having seen a doc within a one-year period which made me decide I should go see one.
Johns019, Your clinic lab/doc/DME all-in-one situation certainly sounds different than my experience. The hospital-based sleep center I have dealt with uses docs from a private group to staff, and after both my initial and recent sleep studies, I was asked to tell the doc which DME they should send my Rx to; it was completely my choice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2012, 05:24 AM)johns019 Wrote: The center I'm going to does the sleep study, has you follow up with their doctor, then with their therapist and they provide the equipment.

BINGO

The Sleep Doctor does NOT want to give you an Auto CPAP ONLY because they want to make a few addtional bucks off of you - but at the cost of providing you with inferior medical treatment.

There are test results out there that show that titration on an Auto CPAP is as good or even better than what your Sleep lab did.

Your Sleep Doctor just flat out LIED to you!

Unfortunately a lot of people accept those lies & take whatever is given to them. That is why they continue doing it.

"I" personally would NOT do this, but you could go online & find out the price difference between the 2 machines.
Then, offer them that difference in addition to what you would have paid for the inadequate machine they want you to have.

IMHO one should NEVER go to a Sleep Lab that has its own Doctors & who also sell you the equipment.

My personal preference is that the Sleep Lab, Sleep Doctor, and DME Provider are all independent of each other.

I would just tell them that you will buy your machine from someone else.
I'll bet they give you what you want then.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 6 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 174 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,802 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 800 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.