Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NASAL SWELLING - STUFFED UP @ 3 am
RE: NASAL SWELLING - STUFFED UP @ 3 am
richb,

I do not remember. Have you tried a nasal pillows mask? It would tend to splint your nose open instead of putting any closing pressure on it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2016, 12:22 PM)PaytonA Wrote: richb,

I do not remember. Have you tried a nasal pillows mask? It would tend to splint your nose open instead of putting any closing pressure on it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I have a nasal pillow mask that I will try tonight. With the stitches etc in my nose I could not try it previously. Thanks for the suggestion.

RichB
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2016, 11:16 PM)green wings Wrote: I'm not sure if it's correct protocol to do this, but I have a question for Zonk. When you say that it's normal for there to be congestion off and on all day and night, do you mean that it's normal for one side of the nose to stuff up completely?

When that happens to me, I can't get enough air through just one nostril and resort to mouth-breathing.

Just wondering. I posted on practically this same topic today. I did a search first but didn't find this thread for some reason.
Nasal cycle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_cycle
Un-stuffing Your Stuffy Nose http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...288#pid288

For more info, go to " Commercial Posts" and check out "Nasal Breathing Video Series", second thread from the bottom
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks! Will go check that out right now. I didn't use my CPAP last night and woke up this morning lying on my right side and breathing comfortably out of only my left nostril. I guess that disproves my belief that I can't do that.

I'm wondering if the CPAP mask makes it more difficult to breathe from only one nostril for some reason.
(02-13-2016, 05:51 AM)zonk Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 11:16 PM)green wings Wrote: I'm not sure if it's correct protocol to do this, but I have a question for Zonk. When you say that it's normal for there to be congestion off and on all day and night, do you mean that it's normal for one side of the nose to stuff up completely?

When that happens to me, I can't get enough air through just one nostril and resort to mouth-breathing.

Just wondering. I posted on practically this same topic today. I did a search first but didn't find this thread for some reason.
Nasal cycle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_cycle
Un-stuffing Your Stuffy Nose http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...288#pid288

For more info, go to " Commercial Posts" and check out "Nasal Breathing Video Series", second thread from the bottom

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2016, 03:18 PM)DariaVader Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 11:39 AM)Neil Mac Wrote: Nasal swelling.

Like many others on this board I’ suffer from nasal selling during the night. Oddly enough it’s between 3 and 4 am for me too.

My ResMed S9 auto set starts at 5 and goes up to 15. A recent sleep test confirmed my average need to be 11 cc.

You would be well served to use Sleepyhead or Rescan software to see if those settings are giving you the best therapy. 5 may be too low if required pressure is 11. Also sleep study is just data from one night... The machine is giving you (almost) a sleep study every night Smile

(02-07-2016, 11:39 AM)Neil Mac Wrote: My built in humidifier is set to 4.0. I have tried settings from 0 to 5 and this seems to be the best for me in the dry cold Canadian winters. In the summer I drop the humidity setting as low as 0. Periodically I have added a drop or two of eucalyptus into the humidity reservoir but the benefits of that wear off after a day or so.

you should never put volatile oils in your humidifier. If you want to use them, apply to a cotton ball and place near your air intake

(02-07-2016, 11:39 AM)Neil Mac Wrote: I use Nasonex daily and both my doctor and pharmacist agree it is neither addictive nor known to have caused any problems from long term use. The benefits of using Nasonex, as I understand from the pro’s, will only be achieved through daily use. I have also used nasal rinses and I now use nasal gels 3 or 4 hours before going to bed to help with nasal tissue dryness.

I clean my hose, mask and filters monthly and dust my sleeping area regularly. I have also started running an air filter in the room with a closed door for 3 hours each night before going to bed.

When I woke up I would sometimes take a hit of Dristan nasal spray but I don’t want to use this ongoing because it is discouraged by the manufacturer.

This past week when I’ve been stuffed up I’ve merely removed the mask and laid in bed for about 20 minutes. I find my nasal passages open up on their own and I can put the mask back on and sleep through the rest of the night.

I can only conclude that the CPAP machine is causing my nasal swelling. Is there a medical professional or equipment manufacturer on this Board that can offer an educated explanation and fix?

getting humidity "right" (this is individual and highly variable) will help. Your profile says you use a nasal mask; consider switching to a nasal pillows mask like the resmed airfit p10 - these have helped many of us to open up nasal passages even when suffering from upper respiratory infections.

None of the advice you get on a forum can be considered medical or professional.

What is the benefit of the resmed airfit p10 please?

(02-15-2016, 05:28 PM)Neil Mac Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 03:18 PM)DariaVader Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 11:39 AM)Neil Mac Wrote: Nasal swelling.

Like many others on this board I’ suffer from nasal selling during the night. Oddly enough it’s between 3 and 4 am for me too.

My ResMed S9 auto set starts at 5 and goes up to 15. A recent sleep test confirmed my average need to be 11 cc.

You would be well served to use Sleepyhead or Rescan software to see if those settings are giving you the best therapy. 5 may be too low if required pressure is 11. Also sleep study is just data from one night... The machine is giving you (almost) a sleep study every night Smile

The numbers are consistent with previous sleep studies and my equipment supplier has confirmed my numbers on her Resmed software. I sleep well when my nasal passages are not swollen. Sad

(02-07-2016, 11:39 AM)Neil Mac Wrote: My built in humidifier is set to 4.0. I have tried settings from 0 to 5 and this seems to be the best for me in the dry cold Canadian winters. In the summer I drop the humidity setting as low as 0. Periodically I have added a drop or two of eucalyptus into the humidity reservoir but the benefits of that wear off after a day or so.

you should never put volatile oils in your humidifier. If you want to use them, apply to a cotton ball and place near your air intake

(02-07-2016, 11:39 AM)Neil Mac Wrote: I use Nasonex daily and both my doctor and pharmacist agree it is neither addictive nor known to have caused any problems from long term use. The benefits of using Nasonex, as I understand from the pro’s, will only be achieved through daily use. I have also used nasal rinses and I now use nasal gels 3 or 4 hours before going to bed to help with nasal tissue dryness.

I clean my hose, mask and filters monthly and dust my sleeping area regularly. I have also started running an air filter in the room with a closed door for 3 hours each night before going to bed.

When I woke up I would sometimes take a hit of Dristan nasal spray but I don’t want to use this ongoing because it is discouraged by the manufacturer.

This past week when I’ve been stuffed up I’ve merely removed the mask and laid in bed for about 20 minutes. I find my nasal passages open up on their own and I can put the mask back on and sleep through the rest of the night.

I can only conclude that the CPAP machine is causing my nasal swelling. Is there a medical professional or equipment manufacturer on this Board that can offer an educated explanation and fix?

getting humidity "right" (this is individual and highly variable) will help. Your profile says you use a nasal mask; consider switching to a nasal pillows mask like the resmed airfit p10 - these have helped many of us to open up nasal passages even when suffering from upper respiratory infections.

None of the advice you get on a forum can be considered medical or professional.

What is the benefit of the resmed airfit p10 please?

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 05:28 PM)Neil Mac Wrote: What is the benefit of the resmed airfit p10 please?

Airfit P10 is a mask that many find to be comfortable and minimally invasive. Nasal pillows as a group seal better (less area and an easy spot to seal) and serve to keep nasal passages open better than other types of masks. It is, however, important to either train yourself to breath through your nose, or use a chin strap to encourage it. Majority of folk can do this, but there is a largish minority who cannot and who must use other mask types. Since you are a Nasal mask user, my assumption is that you are able to sleep without opening your mouth, but I could be wrong about that Smile

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 861 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Eye swelling Luvbug 1 335 12-15-2023, 09:05 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,156 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,392 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,482 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
Angry Puffiness and Swelling readyforsleep 7 1,844 09-19-2022, 09:15 AM
Last Post: SleepyGal2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.