Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI 14 but 46 events? Can't understand this
AHI 14 but 46 events? Can't understand this
[/php][/code][/quote]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI 14 but 46 events? Can't understand this
(02-11-2016, 07:06 PM)Daisylouu Wrote: [/php][/code]
[/quote]

Hi Daisylouu,

Looking at your charts I see that you had an AHI of 9.9. That is your machine scored an average of 9.9 events per hour. These include Obstructive, Clear Airway and Hypopneas. You used the machine for just over 7 hours. 9.9 x 7 = 69 events. You show 3 groupings of Obstructive events that suggest something was happening during those particular times. My first guess is that you were on your back during those groups of Obstructive events. You might try to be sure you are on your side for an entire night to see if that corrects the groups of OA events. You might try making a pocket on the back of a T shirt and sew a tennis ball into the pocket. This will get you off your back. Then look at your data to see if this makes a difference. Try one change at a time to find out what works for you.

RichB
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI was 14 when I woke up after 3:00am. I kept the cpap on trying to fall back asleep but only dozed, and my AHI went down to 9.9

I sleep on a recliner because I am unable to sleep on my side due to shoulder/collarbone issues.

I've been using cpap for almost a year, but I feel like crap, and am not getting any direction from my doctors......they just seem happy with my usage compliance and not really interested in figuring out what's wrong with me.

I finally figured out how to download Sleepyhead, but don't understand much of it, even after reading the user guide. It's all so overwhelming and confusing.

Thanks for responding
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, on the second photo I attached, it says my Humidifier Status is DISCONNECTED. Does that mean my humidifier isn't working? The plate under the water tank gets warm and the water level drops until morning??? I AM SO CONFUSED
Post Reply Post Reply
Hang in there, there is a lot of help in this forum.
First it looks like you are using ramp at the start (I use Resmed so what they call it might be different) When you first turn the machine on it starts you out at 4 cmH2O and then ramps you to your therapy starting pressure of 8 cmH2O in what looks like 45 minutes. The issue is the starting at 4. For may this makes them feel that they are starving for air. I would suggest changing it to 6 and see how that feels. Leave the therapy pressures or 8-13 alone for now.

IIRC sleepyhead has an issue about the humidifier setting, if it is warm and the water level is going down, then it's working just fine.

We should really look at the "leak" chart to make sure that the mask is not causing problems for you. If you are having lots of large leaks then that is an issue

It would also be helpful to know your flex setting

I am sure more comments will be forthcoming.

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't forget that AHI is per hour, and event count is for the whole night.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
The AHI is calculated by dividing the number of apnea events by the number of hours slept.

Your AHI of 9.09 is too high. You have a lot of obstructives. If this has been the trend for a year, then no wonder you feel like crap.

I also think your start pressure of 6 is too low. Your profile says your start pressure is 8, but the graph says 6. I would turn off the ramp, then raise your start pressure to 8, and see how it goes.

Oh, and ignore that humidifier status. It is some kind of bug in sleepyhead.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2016, 08:18 PM)Daisylouu Wrote: My AHI was 14 when I woke up after 3:00am. I kept the cpap on trying to fall back asleep but only dozed, and my AHI went down to 9.9

I sleep on a recliner because I am unable to sleep on my side due to shoulder/collarbone issues.

I've been using cpap for almost a year, but I feel like crap, and am not getting any direction from my doctors......they just seem happy with my usage compliance and not really interested in figuring out what's wrong with me.

I finally figured out how to download Sleepyhead, but don't understand much of it, even after reading the user guide. It's all so overwhelming and confusing.

Thanks for responding

You do have a lot of sleep issues. You could post a 10 minute clip of your SH data during the time s you are having those Obstructive episodes. We could look at the pressure and flow data to see what is happening. There is something different happening during those OA episodes. Sleep posture/position changes can seriously affect OAs. Are you able to turn your head to the side when you sleep? Also look into PoolQ's suggestion regarding ramp times and pressure.. A much shorter ramp time say 5 or 10 minutes should be sufficient. Also a starting pressure of 6 as PoolQ suggests makes sense.

RichB

Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep you feel like crap. Even ahi of 5 youllhave a ton of apneas.
Looking at your graphs your min pressure needs be 9.5 to 10.5. Its much to low now.
Your machine is clearing out the events at around 13. But taking to long to get there.
With Aflec on 2 a min pressure of 10 should easy to get used too in short order.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2016, 08:18 PM)Daisylouu Wrote: My AHI was 14 when I woke up after 3:00am. I kept the cpap on trying to fall back asleep but only dozed, and my AHI went down to 9.9

AHI is the number events divided by time. And since you slept more once you saw it at 3am, then of course the AHI changed.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 14 410 15 minutes ago
Last Post: BigWing
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 46 8 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 91 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 182 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.