Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brand New - Sleepy Head direction [data-capable machines?]
Cool 
Brand New - Sleepy Head direction [data-capable machines?]
I have been using a CPAP machine for around 5 years (System One (60 Series)). I started at 10.0 and have self adjusted do to weight gain and snoring to 16 over the years. I am 31 and have just found Sleepyhead via this forum and when I imported from my SD card into sleepy head it basically said my machine doesn't record data, but I am pretty sure it does. Any advice or direction would be much appreciated. I did lock the SD card etc and it imported fine. It looked like it record every other day but i use for at least 6 hours a day and it said 1.5 hours for most days which seemed strange. My machine also has a wireless adapter of some sort in front of the SD card that plugs in. I believe it is suppose to transmit my AHI etc to the MD, but I have never been back since my test and diagnosis. It seems insane but they said my AHI was 77. Not sure if she meant over the entire half night of testing or per hour. I have lost 26 pounds since I was at 16 and want to monitor AHI and adjust pressure back down. I want to avoid snoring (for my wifes sake) and keep my AHI low. Thanks for any advice and please direct me around the forum if this is in the wrong place. I appreciate the help.[/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Brand New - Sleepy Head direction
Hi deadfish, welcome to Apnea Board!

Before others chime in, let's make sure you truly have a data-capable CPAP machine. You've said it's a 60 series PR System One, which narrows it down a bit, but let's find out which specific model you have.

Look at these graphics and let us know which model you have:

[Image: PR-model-1.jpg]

[Image: PR-model-2.jpg]
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It says 260P in that area. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 08:03 PM)deadfish Wrote: It says 260P in that area. Thanks

That's a 60-series PR System One REMstar Plus with C-Flex, and they are not data-capable machines, so no software will be able to read your AHI data, because the machine doesn't record it, unfortunately. It will be able to supply "compliance data", which is only the "hours used" information and little else.

The wireless capability is probably used to send that compliance data back to the DME so they can document the fact that using the machine a minimum average of 4 hours per night for insurance purposes.

Unfortunately, many unscrupulous DMEs dispense these non-data-capable machines, which we call "Dumb Bricks" or simply "a brick CPAP". They do this because they get reimbursed by insurance or Medicare for a fixed sum of money, regardless of what type of CPAP machine they give the patient - (a standard CPAP with no data-capability, one with some degree of data capability, or an automatic-CPAP (APAP) machine). They make more money by giving uninformed patients a low-end brick like the one you got.

If this CPAP was given to you recently, you may be able to take it back and demand a data-capable CPAP or a data-capable APAP.

Keep in mind that if you don't have a machine that is able to record AHI, then you'll never really know how effective (or ineffective) your therapy is from day to day, and if you don't have an auto-CPAP, your machine cannot adjust to your changing needs from hour to hour or night to night. About the only two ways you can get a new titration once you've lost weight is to pay for another overnight sleep study (titration)... or purchase a fully data-capable machine and use software to incrementally adjust your settings to minimize your AHI. To adjust pressure on a constant-pressure CPAP machine you may wish to read this article.

Many of us have purchased a data-capable machine out of our own pocket in order to get a decent machine that will allow us to make small, incremental adjustments, based upon the stats that our machines provided (using software like ResScan, EncoreBasic or SleepyHead). We use the software to tweak our CPAP settings and minimize our AHI levels over time.

Here's an article on Machine Choices:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Personally, if I wanted to get the most bang for my buck, (and assuming I had obstructive sleep apnea) I would purchase a machine that is both auto-adjusting (APAP) and fully data-capable (read the link above for info on which popular models are recommended).

PS - I'm moving your thread to the Main Forum, since it's not really a software issue, but an issue with your type of CPAP machine.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the information. Any trusted sellers online that work with insurance that is suggested?
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a list of online DME sellers that our members have compiled (the link is also at the top of every forum page):

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

It's not an exhaustive or "preferred" list of any type, but simply a list of DMEs that our members have dealt with in times past.

But, I'm not sure that all of them "work with" insurance companies... in some cases, you may have to pay for the machine and then get reimbursed by your insurance company. But each insurance company is different and you'd have to check with them to make sure they will work with you on it. Many insurance companies have their own list of approved DMEs and will require you to go through them.

That said, many times the price via a brick-and-mortar DME would be much higher than an online supplier sell it for. So by the time you consider your deductibles, out of pocket costs and other hoops you must go through via the insurance company, it may be worth it to simply purchase the machine yourself outright. Keep in mind that you'll need a copy of your CPAP prescription from your sleep doctor to fax, scan or mail to the online DME before they can sell you a machine.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 10:59 PM)deadfish Wrote: Thanks so much for the information. Any trusted sellers online that work with insurance that is suggested?

Unfortunately, many insurance companies will not pay unless it's a local "brick and mortar" DME's. A few people have been able to get reimbursed for online purchases, but it's fairly rare. Part of the corrupt medical system we have.

Many people have bought used machines through craigslist. The usual craigslist concerns apply, but the price is often worth it. Be sure you know what machine to get, and how to verify the model. Also watch out, many CL sellers want more than the new price online. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a fairly new top of the line S9 AutoSet, A10 Autoset, or PRS1 Auto. Occasionally, someone manages to find new machines on Amazon or eBay, but those listings often come down quickly.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,508 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 675 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 560 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  Still Sleepy? HotdogFriendo 4 374 01-15-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 407 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.