Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Compare Sleep Study to first CPAP week
Compare Sleep Study to first CPAP week
HISTORY: I went to pulmonologist because of some minor shortness of breath on exertion. I have never been excessively fatigued or shown signs of sleepless during the day. I recently drove 600-700 miles per day on 3600 mile road trip over two weeks. No sleepless. I retire around 10-11Pm and getup at 6-6:30 daily. Feal rested and relaxed. At pulmonologist office my wife indicated that I tossed and turned a lot and seemed to stop breathing for a moment. At 75, get up approximately 2 times a night for bathroom calls. Doctor ordered sleep study.

I had a sleep study in Jan 2016. The study was a "split" between diagnostic and titration. During diagnostic my AHI=83 during titration AHI =29. Titration used the same CPAP equipment I current use. Both sessions were conducted supine with 0 leg movement (by direction of tech). Max pressure achieved in titration was 15. The mask leaked everywhere and was to narrow to fully cover the mouth (mouth breather). No mask adjustments were made by the tech after initial fitting. Lab data indicates 0 events at 12 & 13, 2 events at 14, and 0 at 15. More at pressure lower than 12. Note: I am a mouth breather and sleep on my side.

Just completed first 8 days of CPAP use on Feb 16, 2016. AHI < 6 for all 8 days. Pressure set 15-20. Everything "auto". I am now very fatigued during the day. Mask leak issue and extreme dry mouth seem to wake me often during the night. My question, since the AHI <6, does that indicate the CPAP is doing the job and keeping my events low. Why does the events drop from 29 at the lab to < 6 from the get-go using the same setup as the lab test - more side sleeping however?

Thanks for your answer for a new user.
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Compare Sleep Study to first CPAP week
(02-16-2016, 11:32 AM)Ed1101 Wrote: Why does the events drop from 29 at the lab to < 6 from the get-go using the same setup as the lab test - more side sleeping however?

Welcome

You now run 15 to 20 auto. I'd bet you are getting more positive pressure when needed. Plus, side sleeping does help most people -- like me.

You should download the software and track your progress. Look at the events, flow, pressure, and leaks graphs; you'll see what's going on.

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you drove 3600 miles, can we assume that you live in the USA? Instead of getting your mask from the sleep center you should find a local DME that will allow you to try several masks to see which one fits your face best. I've never been able to use a FFM, preferring nasal pillows - even though I've been known to breathe through my mouth on occasion. Over the years I've trained my mouth to stay closed when I'm sleeping, by using chin straps.

BTW, Welcome
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2016, 11:44 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(02-16-2016, 11:32 AM)Ed1101 Wrote: Why does the events drop from 29 at the lab to < 6 from the get-go using the same setup as the lab test - more side sleeping however?

Welcome

You now run 15 to 20 auto. I'd bet you are getting more positive pressure when needed. Plus, side sleeping does help most people -- like me.

You should download the software and track your progress. Look at the events, flow, pressure, and leaks graphs; you'll see what's going on.

Mongo

I felt that the pressure ordered by the doctor was a more than needed. If I get the pressure reduced and do not see an increase in events then that should be ok, right. I will download "sleepyhead" this weekend and look at the results more closely.

Does the 4-6 event the device sees now mean that the pressure (Steady state min of 15 max of 20) was insufficient to prevent the event? I do not understand the range. Does the device ramp up if an event occurs while it is at 15? If so, does it drop back to 15 or stay at the new pressure (value of new?)?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2016, 11:52 AM)PollCat Wrote: Since you drove 3600 miles, can we assume that you live in the USA? Instead of getting your mask from the sleep center you should find a local DME that will allow you to try several masks to see which one fits your face best. I've never been able to use a FFM, preferring nasal pillows - even though I've been known to breathe through my mouth on occasion. Over the years I've trained my mouth to stay closed when I'm sleeping, by using chin straps.

BTW, Welcome

I have now obtained a Hybrid mask (use first 2/16) about the same result but no so many wake up leaks. Will need to acclimate to the new mask. I am a fairly constant mouth breather - working on that when awake by keeping my tongue to roof of mouth behind upper teeth. The F10 mask was a medium and the width left the corners of my mouth at the seal point on each side. I would wake up with bottom of mask in my mouth and major leak - mouth so dry it seemed "glued" shut. Used chin strap one night and that did help with dry mouth but the mask still rides up and leaks at mouth corners. And into each eye at nose. New hybrid mask is much wider and only minor dry mouth with fairly good seal on nose plus does not ride up obviously. Plan to increase humidity from auto to 5 and 80 deg. Also I get a better pillow today - I hope it helps sleep time.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ed1101,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 161 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.