Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Study Finds CPAP Improves Sexual Function
Study Finds CPAP Improves Sexual Function
Study Finds CPAP Improves Sexual Function, Satisfaction in Men with Sleep Apnea

Researchers at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center have found that non-diabetic men under age 60 who suffer from obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) are experiencing improved sexual function and satisfaction from use of continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy.

For the study, the researchers assessed the erectile function and libido of 92 men who were newly diagnosed with OSA and starting CPAP therapy. According to the researchers, erectile dysfunction (ED) is common in OSA patients, and nearly half of the men in the Walter Reed study reported the presence of ED. Patients were assessed again after 1, 3, and 6 months of CPAP therapy.

The results showed that CPAP improved the sexual function and satisfaction in the majority of men in the study regardless of their level of erectile function reported at the start of the study. According to the researchers, while those with ED reported more improvements, many participants without ED also reported improved sexual function and satisfaction.

“We were surprised at how prevalent ED is in a relatively young population of men with sleep apnea. The average age was 45,” said Joseph Dombrowsky, MD, the study’s primary investigator. “But we were similarly surprised at how robust a clinically significant response the men had with CPAP therapy.”

The findings were presented last week at the SLEEP 2012 meeting in Boston.

fair use from:
http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/sleep_repo...-20_04.asp
The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Study Finds CPAP Improves Sexual Function
(06-20-2012, 02:56 PM)ApneaNews Wrote: For the study, the researchers assessed the erectile function and libido of 92 men who were newly diagnosed with OSA and starting CPAP therapy.
Why these kind of studies never included women and how they did the assessing on the men surely not using the EPS (Epworth Sleepiness Scale)
Lets face it, if one is sleep deprived sex would be the last thing on one mind Dont-know

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2012, 12:35 AM)zonk Wrote:
(06-20-2012, 02:56 PM)ApneaNews Wrote: For the study, the researchers assessed the erectile function and libido of 92 men who were newly diagnosed with OSA and starting CPAP therapy.
Why these kind of studies never included women and how they did the assessing on the men surely not using the EPS (Epworth Sleepiness Scale)
Lets face it, if one is sleep deprived sex would be the last thing on one mind Dont-know

Not spoken like a true man Too-funny It wouldnt matter how tired I was although after 5 years, I wouldnt know if there was any improvement or not but Im fishing better Laugh-a-lot Dielaughing

Post Reply Post Reply
Even though I am feeling better in many ways after getting my OSA treated, I am not sure that my wife is finding me more attractive, especially when she turns towards me and sees my face wrapped in a chin strap and nasal pillows with a hose hanging from my face. She tells me I am a pretty frightening sight. This makes me wonder about the results of this study. What good is treatment if it helps one's sexual partner's function, while turning off the other's. Ater all, doesn't it still take two to tango?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2012, 11:59 AM)BabyDoc Wrote: Ater all, doesn't it still take two to tango?
It just reminded me of Marlon Brando movie "Last Tango In Paris" Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a new bed to solve my problem Too-funny

[Image: Fire-Truck-Kids-Bunk-Bed-1.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
also it would make a practical hose management system and rainout protection

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2012, 11:59 AM)BabyDoc Wrote: Even though I am feeling better in many ways after getting my OSA treated, I am not sure that my wife is finding me more attractive, especially when she turns towards me and sees my face wrapped in a chin strap and nasal pillows with a hose hanging from my face. She tells me I am a pretty frightening sight. This makes me wonder about the results of this study. What good is treatment if it helps one's sexual partner's function, while turning off the other's. Ater all, doesn't it still take two to tango?

I knew a girl one time that made a comment about my CPAP mask, something about looking like an alien, even though she had only seen it once while I was trying it on. As a result, I never spent the entire night with her. I would stay until I started to fall asleep, and then I would head home to spend the night in my own bed with my CPAP. She realized what she had done, apologized, and asked me to stay many times, but I never trusted her enough to stay.

My wife has never complained, and has never made a negative comment about my CPAP use. It has changed the way we are at times, but it has not changed our relationship. We don't fall asleep forehead to forehead, nose to nose, but that's kind of a good thing for me. I would get hot with her wrapped around me at night.

She doesn't roll over on me in the morning for sex like she once did, but that might have more to do with our 20 years of marriage than the CPAP. Still, we find intimate moments. Less in the morning when I'm in my own little world with the CPAP mask on, but we still have time to lay naked in bed in the evening after work. Sometimes just to cuddle, and sometimes for sex.

Wearing a CPAP mask at night can certainly put a wall between you and your lover while going to sleep and while sleeping, but that's it. Even morning sex is possible if your lover is aggressive enough to rip the mask from your face and have his/her way with you. :-)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.