Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New user - sore nasal bridge
RE: New user - sore nasal bridge
Just a suggestion. Although you may not have needed a chin strap with your nasal mask ( I didn't), ask you DME to bring you one when she delivers your pillows. It should be covered by your insurance. I found that although I don't need the strap for mouth breathing issues, I do need the chin strap to help keep the pillow straps more securely in place. Without the strap, I encountered leaks when rolling over to my other side, unless I made the pillows uncomfortably tight. The chin strap wraps not only under my chin, but also goes around the side of my face and the top of my head. In doing so it covers and secures all of the straps for the nasal pillow, which otherwise couldn't be kept as loose.

If you think you won't need the strap, one way to be sure is to actually lie down with the pillows when the DME comes out to fit you. Lay on your side and turn to your other side to be sure your pillows don't leak when you move. Once they are snug enough not to leak when you do that, be sure they are still comfortable. Sometimes you won't know that right away. So I would take the strap and keep it just in case that later you do.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had mentioned to the DME that I usually end up breathing through my mouth by the end of the night due to nasal/sinus blockage - so she has already given me one of them 4" wide bands with a "back of the head" cross over straps... I haven't needed it, that I am aware of..

Does anyone know what the average leak is on the "easylife" mask?
The three days I have used it - it has been 34.8, 39.5 and last night 31 LPM on average..

My DME has never actually been to my home - I live WAAAY out there, so we have been meeting in one of the conference rooms that we have at work..
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2012, 11:36 AM)andersgeorgsson Wrote: I had mentioned to the DME that I usually end up breathing through my mouth by the end of the night due to nasal/sinus blockage - so she has already given me one of them 4" wide bands with a "back of the head" cross over straps... I haven't needed it, that I am aware of..

Does anyone know what the average leak is on the "easylife" mask?
The three days I have used it - it has been 34.8, 39.5 and last night 31 LPM on average..

My DME has never actually been to my home - I live WAAAY out there, so we have been meeting in one of the conference rooms that we have at work..

Look at this page if you want the intentional leak rates for your mask.
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....111027.pdf

Maybe you will have to lie down on the floor or on the conference table to get your fitting. Don't do what I did. I just sat in a chair. Everything was fine until I got home and turned on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2012, 11:36 AM)andersgeorgsson Wrote: Does anyone know what the average leak is on the "easylife" mask?
At pressure 10 , the easylife vents exhaust leak (intentional leak) is 26 LPM
As PRS1 gives report total leak which is intentional leak plus mask leak (unintentional leak) subtract the intentional leak and you get the unintentional leak (31-26=5 LPM) which is good number. The S9 accepted unintentional leak is below 24 LPM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2012, 02:27 PM)zonk Wrote:
(06-21-2012, 11:36 AM)andersgeorgsson Wrote: Does anyone know what the average leak is on the "easylife" mask?
At pressure 10 , the easylife vents exhaust leak (intentional leak) is 26 LPM
As PRS1 gives report total leak which is intentional leak plus mask leak (unintentional leak) subtract the intentional leak and you get the unintentional leak (31-26=5 LPM) which is good number. The S9 accepted unintentional leak is below 24 LPM.

Cool! I didnt know that the easylife mask would hang on to my face as well as it does.. Last night I had it strapped on VEEEEERY lightly, and leaks did not increase significantly. And my nose felt fine this morning Smile

Pulling the mask off and reseating it worked better than trying to adjust headgear if I heard a leak!
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope I am not in trouble for reviving an old post, but I had a patient give the BEST advice to the us techs and to the doctor. He loved his mask, but it was causing sores on the bridge of his nose. His solution was to use panty liners. He would cut the liner to fit over the bridge of his nose where the mask sat (I am unsure if he made multiple nose fittings from one liner). He'd place the sticky part on his nose and the padded part up towards the mask. He said the problem was gone and he was able to enjoy his mask and CPAP at home. There is also something called REMzzzs as well as cushion pads that may help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had this problem for a while until I followed some advice I saw in a OSA forum (I forget which one). It solved the problem straight away and it has not returned. The bridge of my nose ceased to be sore and the red mark eventually faded completely.

The advice was to wash the mask cushion every morning in warm soapy water.

If you're not already doing that, I recommend that you try it. It worked for me and the effect was immediate.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 424 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 988 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,157 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Pressure sore, bad night with cpap CorgiGiraffe 5 857 06-22-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.