Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask Worse For Inner Ear??
Full Face Mask Worse For Inner Ear??
Hello

I am a new member here and I need some help. My machine was just increased to the level 16, and since then, I am having very, very bad dizzy spells throughout the day. It gets so bad that I can't even stand up and it is causing me to have panic attacks.

I have had dizzy spells once in a great while in my life but nothing......I mean nothing even close to this. It feels like someone is picking me up by my feet and swinging me back and forth. I actually get so dizzy that my head feels like it weighs 200 pounds and it makes me fall down to the ground.

My maine question is does anyone know if the mask that just blows up your nose causes the same problems? Right now, my mask covers my mouth and my nose. Any help would be great. I hope I don't sound like a baby but this is bad. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask Worse For Inner Ear??
It does sound like an ear issue and yes, increased pressure from a CPAP can cause it. I use a nasal pillow mask and I experience it.

You need to contact your doctor immediately. There could be another cause and it is best to have this checked ASAP.

You said it was increased to 16. What was the number before?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
You need to see the doctor about the dizziness right now.

In concept, full face mask (FFM) vs. nasal mask shouldn't make a difference in its effect on your ears.

Some people think you need more pressure with FFMs, so that would tend to make everything worse.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please check in with the doc. This sounds dangerous (in that you could fall). Keep us posted, please
Post Reply Post Reply
Your dizziness needs to be evaluated by a physician (ENT probably)
Do you have other symptoms such as congestion ?
Does your machine offer data so you could monitor AHI and leak?
Post Reply Post Reply
By the way, if something is messing up your inner ear, the damage can be permanent if you ignore it.

That's true whether it's CPAP or not.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried calling the doc but nobody called back. Of course they probably wanted to leave on a friday and not deal with me. I tried to look on this site for instructions to do it myself but my machine was not listed. They raised my level from a 14 to a 16. My machine is the ResMed A4I (EPR Auto Set II). I have been dealing with this for a few weeks now but it is almost impossible for me to drive because I keep freaking out with getting so dizzy, especially when the car stops. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's on the list as ResMed S8 AutoSet II, which is my machine. H4i (not A4I) is the humidifier. You'll need to email the board for the manual, but they sent it to me very quickly.

You can get into the clinician's menu by holding down the down-arrow and right-arrow buttons for three seconds.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 06:57 PM)neil-v1 Wrote: I tried to look on this site for instructions to do it myself but my machine was not listed. They raised my level from a 14 to a 16. My machine is the ResMed A4I (EPR Auto Set II).
You can obtain the manual via email (scroll down to section 3)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

and also this video may help too
http://vimeo.com/19565675

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok great! I just got into the menu and it was set at 16. I turned it down to 13 and I hope to God this helps. I will also see my doctor asap. Thank you so much for the help. I do have one more question. Does everyone here use the humidifier in the summer or just the winter? I have mine set at 2 for the humidifier. Maybe I should try it with the humidity off? Once again, thanks for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 228 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,586 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.