Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New/old CPAP user question about elevation change
New/old CPAP user question about elevation change
I have recently started using CPAP after 10+ years of non compliance and have a question concerning elevation changes.

I have a brand new APEX XT Fit Sense machine which is supposed to "sense" elevation changes and make adjustment automatically, to 8000' above sea level.

What does the machine actually do to adjust to higher elevation?

I am going to Cusco Peru in May and plan on spending several nights at 11,000'. What can I do to the machine (if anything) when I sleep above 8000'?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New/old CPAP user question about elevation change
Do nothing but sleep well and enjoy Peru. VERY Beautiful country.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2016, 07:49 AM)hozholla Wrote: What does the machine actually do to adjust to higher elevation?

nothing. modern machines use pressure transducers at the airflow outlet to measure the relative output pressure of the machine and speed up or slow down the fan.

the only side effect is that the thinner the air, the faster the fan has to spin to generate the desired pressure, and at some point, you'll run out of spin.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hozholla,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Better luck to you with your CPAP therapy this time around.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll be fine for just a few nights. You *may* have a few more central events than usual, or have them for the first time, but it will settle once you come back down.

At higher altitudes, the CPAP has to "work harder" to generate the set pressure. Your CPAP will automatically do this up to, as you said, 8000ft. Over that, it will be generating slightly lower than the set pressure. If you were going to be at that height for more than just a few days, you would want to perhaps adjust the pressure upward. But for that time period you will be there, it isn't worth it. And if you have an existing heart condition, don't do it without discussing it with your doctor first.

http://journal.publications.chestnet.org...id=1069275
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 412 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,708 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,485 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,040 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,016 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,592 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.