Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Seven weeks of misery - update
RE: Seven weeks of misery
Thanks to your help, I achieved my first 4 hour night!

But some new developments with my health plan. They dropped the hospital & doctor I was going to! So, now I have to get a new Sleep Doctor and start afresh?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have now kept the mask on for eight hours for two nights!

But, looking at ResScan, I am seeing a lot of CA - central apneas, and RERA?

I have been looking through the posts for information. So far, it sounds like increasing the minimum pressure to get it closer to the 95% number might help (to 8.2 from 7.6). And reducing the EPR to 2 from 3 might help with CO2 and oxygenation.

My next Sleep Dr. appt is in August. (insurance snafu).

Post Reply Post Reply
That is terrific! I went through a lot of struggles with my mask and with adjusting to breathing with the pressure during January and February.

I really feel like getting comfortable with having the mask on your face, getting leaks under control, and finding settings that let you inhale and exhale comfortably are potentially a bigger battle than finding the right settings to control your apnea events well.

It sounds like you've made it through the most difficult psychological and comfort issues.

(04-25-2016, 05:24 AM)sevenlevels Wrote: I have now kept the mask on for eight hours for two nights!
<snip>

Post Reply Post Reply
5DancingGrinBananaThumbs-up-25

(04-25-2016, 05:24 AM)sevenlevels Wrote: I have now kept the mask on for eight hours for two nights!

Eat-popcornlikeWell-doneGoodOne5

He who that overcomes inherits all things
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think we have all been there and I am still there nearly a year later. It takes some getting used to that is for sure. I hate CPAP with a passion and have noticed that my apnea may have been caused by TRT therapy and I may not need it now. If I still do then I find that you just need to stick with it and tolerance will increase with time and believe me it takes some people a while to get used to it. I find it a struggle to go more that 3 hours with it myself. I find that I wake up just enough to remove the mask and I never remember doing it. So best advice is to stick with it and don't push so much that you get anxiety. Go slowly and realize it is for your well being. With time your sessions will get longer. I have been on CPAP for almost a year and the most time I have seen so far is 5 hours and that was a fluke as it seems to be more like 3 hours. 3 hours is better than nothing is the way I look at it, but insurance will not pay for it at that rate. Now I found that I don't like heated humid air at all. In fact I like chilled air, so I ice my hose and water. This helps me with anxiety a great deal. You need to figure out what will make it more tolerable for you and try different things until you have something that works for you. Hang in there you will get it, but it takes time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went back over my summary data and thought it was interesting to see how the changes showed up in the graphs:

This one shows my seven weeks of misery: crazy AHI/AI numbers, and all kinds of breaks in my sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
And this one shows what happened after implementing some of the ideas like increasing my pressures and starting on sinus solution:
dramatic drop in AHI/AI and more continuous blocks of sleep time!

(note: I cut off the chart before my trip to Vegas!)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seven weeks of misery - 3 Month mark!
Back from Vegas on 4/01 (it takes a little while to get back to normal).

But then around 4/14, I get the Eureka moment! While discussing the Amara View mask with others, I realize how to get a much better fit by putting the main part of the cushion more over my mouth and letting the air pressure inflate the nose piece. (Instead of pushing the mask tightly up under my nose.)

FINALLY, I can sleep through the night. My Total Usage starts increasing, and my AHI is decreasing!

03/11/16-04/13/16 Avg Hrs 5:24 ; AHI 3.6/3.5
04/14/16-04/27/16 Avg Hrs 7:46 ; AHI 2.9/2.6

(Pressures: start 4.6 ; min=7.4 ; Max=12.4 ; epr-3 )

Well that fills up my attachment usage. So, this is my last post here.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 321 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,502 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 367 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 271 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.