Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Data comparison
Data comparison
I'm a first-time CPAP user. I started using my new Philips Respironics DreamStation Pro about a month ago.

My average usage is 5:30 hours with almost 7 hours last night. My average AHI is 5.8. (6.7 last night) My average Mask Fit is 87% (82% last night). I've had trouble with mask fit the last few nights. I don't know why. How do these numbers compare with other first-time users?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Data comparison
Hi SamStamport,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I am on my third week with a Dreamstation (new to CPAP). My mask fit has been 100% as reported in DreamMapper and on the machine. I have had quite a lot of small leaks and pulling the mask off to re-position it. So 87% seems like you have a lot of large leaks that should be addressed. I'd go back and ask to be fitted for some other masks or to learn how to fit this one better.

I started on a pressure of 6 and my average AHI was between 8 and 11. I then had my pressure adjusted up to 9 (reported as my 90% level on APAP) and now my AHI is below 2 most night, getting above three some nights.

I think a better mask fit would result in better AHI numbers. How do you feel after using the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for your insight.

I'll check into the mask problem.

My pressure is set at 10. I have a "ramp" button that I push when I first put the mask on. It starts at 4 and gradually goes up to 10.

I had great expectations that I would immediately feel much better. At this point I feel about 60% better than before, but still deal with some hangover symptoms in the morning. Morning is the worst time of day for me. I usually feel much better in the afternoons.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 08:52 AM)SamStamport Wrote: I'm a first-time CPAP user. I started using my new Philips Respironics DreamStation Pro about a month ago.

My average usage is 5:30 hours with almost 7 hours last night. My average AHI is 5.8. (6.7 last night) My average Mask Fit is 87% (82% last night). I've had trouble with mask fit the last few nights. I don't know why. How do these numbers compare with other first-time users?

I wonder if your high AHI and mask fit could be that you are a mouth breather and need a chin strap. When I first started I had the high numbers and started to use a chin strap which helped in reducing my numbers and mask leak.
Hopefully others will have more suggestions for you.
Bompa
Please Take Care, Stay Safe and follow the guidelines to Stay Healthy!  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm. Chin strap. I'll keep that in mind.

Meanwhile I contacted my support person. She is sending another mask. Maybe I'm too rough with it and it just wore out?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a newbie also. Been using CPAP for a little over a month now. I have used it every night so far, with probably around 6:30 - 7 hrs of usage per night. My AHI has varied but always been below 1. I started out with a chinstrap as my Fiance told me I sleep with my mouth open. The one night I tried without it, I got an email from Resmed or my DME telling me I had some excessive leaking during the night, possible due to my mouth being open. Would like to resolve that issue but want to make sure everything else is going well for a while first. BTW, for a "chinstrap" I have just been using a winter style headband I had laying around. It is soft and comfortable and seems to be the right size to apply a small amount of tension.

Not sure what the mask fit % is, but my leak level has been "good" every night with most nights having an average of 0 leak. Looking at data in SleepyHead, I see small leaks here and there but they don't seem to amount to anything.

Hopefully it is helpful to hear about other's experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on your post & a previous post it sounds like I sleep with my mouth open as well. I thought that might be the case. That's why I opted for a triangular face mask that covers mouth & nose, but I guess that's not enough to break a very old habit.

Since I live in a warm climate could you post a picture of the winter style headband. Where can I get this? Wal Mart or a drugstore?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
your "support" person at the DME should be able to provide you with one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 321 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
Question [CPAP] Aircurve 10 ASV treatment comparison auto ASV mode and CPAP mode graphs Emtvalenti 0 442 05-20-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Emtvalenti
  AirSense 10 & 11 filter comparison ejbpesca 0 873 02-21-2023, 05:02 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,689 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 924 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [split] Airsense 11 Soft and For-Her Mode Comparison TiredOne789 6 1,485 05-18-2022, 10:20 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 816 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.