Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PR Dreamstation with modem, anyone?
PR Dreamstation with modem, anyone?
So I got a Dreamstation today from my DME and to my surprise it has the modem! According to them it is a cellular modem so no WiFi needed, who pays the bill? Smile
The thing is, I am not really sure how good is it for me or what difference it makes, since apparently the only benefit of having the modem is if you need close follow up therapy by the physician or the DME in order to sell you more supplies Smile

The DME said I can monitor my data from the cloud but I did not have time to login yet and I was expecting the Bluetooth model to use with my android phone.

I am trying to research some info about this modem thing but so far I found nothing.
So if anybody here has any experience with the Dreamstation plus modem, please pitch in!

Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PR Dreamstation with modem, anyone?
I don't know. I am researching the same for my ResMed AirSense 10. If you are renting, I expect the cost is built into the rental plan, and that is something they should have disclosed to you at the time you signed the rental agreement. Personally I don't want the cellular, and plan to turn on airplane mode (assuming it has it).
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I could research you can turn the cell off temporarily but it comes back after 3 days maximum.
I guess if is bad I can just pop the modem off the machine Smile I don't want to pay any rental or fee for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using a DreamStation with a modem since past Nov. My DME told me my insurance wa paying for the service to check compliance.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 05:42 PM)pupcamper Wrote: I've been using a DreamStation with a modem since past Nov. My DME told me my insurance wa paying for the service to check compliance.

I would verify that. Does you insurance pay 100% of your medical equipment costs? If so, then maybe, otherwise, chances are you are paying your 20% or whatever.

But, as usual, I am new and probably wrong.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
It is there for compliance only. It only works in the US unless you chose to sign it up for a cell plan else ware
The data goes to the manufacturer.
Your Doctors office and the DME have access to see the compliance data. Not sure if the insurance company can see it directly or only need a compliance report.

Once you get signed up and look at sleepyhead I doubt that you will look at anything else other than sleepyhead
Post Reply Post Reply
P
(03-30-2016, 05:44 PM)FrankNichols Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 05:42 PM)pupcamper Wrote: I've been using a DreamStation with a modem since past Nov. My DME told me my insurance wa paying for the service to check compliance.

I would verify that. Does you insurance pay 100% of your medical equipment costs? If so, then maybe, otherwise, chances are you are paying your 20% or whatever.

But, as usual, I am new and probably wrong.

Actually, my insurance does pay 100% on most things. I wouldn't bet on my DME being right....what am I thinking? DME's are never wrong!
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok after researching a little more, I think that my DME either have tossed the modem in order to inflate the price a bit or that was the only model they had in stock and maybe they did not even realize the modem was there.

The person that was in charge for the setup appointment did not seem to know much about the connectivity capabilities. While showing me the machine she removed the modem from the bay and I told her I did not want the one with the modem, just Bluetooth model since I wanted to monitor my data with the DreamMapper app and she said: no this model is better because it loads your data to the cloud and WE and your physician can access the data easily and so do you, than she setup my login info on DreamMapper PC.
Well, when I got home I tried the "upload data" option in the machine and it fails all time which tells me the modem is not in fact activated!! Also my account on DreamMapper website says that my provider did not setup a modem for me and I need to contact them.

Too bad they closed when I called but I will call back tomorrow and sort this mess out.

Also does anybody knows which tubing comes with the machine? I thought would be a Respironics OEM hose but the one I received is the dark stiff tubing and does not look the same as I can see from OEM PR tubbing so I guess this was swapped!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 06:50 PM)Hawk600 Wrote: Also does anybody knows which tubing comes with the machine? I thought would be a Respironics OEM hose but the one I received is the dark stiff tubing and does not look the same as I can see from OEM PR tubbing so I guess this was swapped!

Mine "came with" the standard non heated hose (part of the package if the humidifier is not included) and because mine had the humidifier as part of the package it "came with" the heated hose. Mine also came with the Cellular modem, as well as the Bluetooth connectivity. A lot of this depends on your DME, and also how the insurance is willing to reimburse. Unsure
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I think I've been ripped off...all I got was that bad dark and not flexible tubing, I will call them tomorrow first time in the morning!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,638 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,800 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020
  Does my ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto have a modem? Morseman 4 265 02-05-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 modem/provider mystery richapple 4 567 12-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  de-activate modem dreamstation2 advanced The Rog 0 356 10-18-2023, 12:45 AM
Last Post: The Rog
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 767 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Airsense11 - No modem? wils98 11 2,061 02-10-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.