Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Initial use--every night?
Initial use--every night?
I'm a week in to my first cpap use--good news is it's working--from the data and the SO's opinion--when I wear it. Problem is I am not sleeping long--max has been five hours, average 3-4--before waking up. When I wake up I feel pretty good--too good, as I'm generally wide awake. Have to get up and then hope I get tired again. Frankly I am not functioning well at work or otherwise so I started skipping some days so I can get some sleep. I had mild to moderate apnea beforehand so there's no real health danger--biggest issue is for the SO.

I know it's best to continually wear the thing but not sure the law would agree if I fall asleep driving down the road!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Initial use--every night?
It takes time to adapt to Cpap use. Your doing better than some in regards to sleeping 4 hours, but by skipping days, you will have a much harder time adapting long term.

Your last statement says it all.....if your driving while tired, it's because your are not sleeping as well as you think by skipping days.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose. I think you misread my post though--I feel a bit better when I don't wear the mask than when I do. First night I had 5 hours. Second night 3. Third night 3 1/2. On two of those nights I did not fall back asleep. By the third day I had no business driving a car...but I have to.

So I am skipping wearingthe mask on some days--even though I have some apnea I get more rest lately while not wearing the mask than when I do. I'm sure--I hope!--that will change as I get more used to the thing. Probably some dynmaic where I am coming out of deep REM sleep and while not still awak and somehow troubled by this big thing strapped tight to my face....and I wake up.

It's kind of a good thing bad thing scenario--I can tell already that its working as when I wake up I feel pretty good--but if I have only slept a few hours and never get back to sleep that feeling doesn't carry into the next day.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never met anyone that didn't have initial problems getting used to it. Some people adapt better then others. I think it took me about a week. Now I would never sleep without it. Sometimes I get mad at myself if I fall asleep on the couch even if it's a little nap. I wake up in a fog. Since you have a mild case maybe it doesn't effect that bad but all I call tell you is to stick with it and wear it every night. Eventually within a couple weeks it will feel like second nature.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not the quantity it's the quality. Stick with it no matter what. Both will improve over time.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to use it. Make it a ritual.

And, the OP statement about the law and driving... true.

In some countries, they pull one's license until they show compliance with CPAP.
For commercial drivers, in the US, once a dx of sleep apnea is on record, they must prove CPAP compliance; or they cannot work.

Even the non-commercial class C licensed driver is at financial risk in an accident.
In a civil suit for damages, a good lawyer will use non-compliance to CPAP against the driver.

IANAL.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2016, 07:26 AM)dawoodsman Wrote: I'm a week in to my first cpap use--good news is it's working--from the data and the SO's opinion--when I wear it. Problem is I am not sleeping long--max has been five hours, average 3-4--before waking up. When I wake up I feel pretty good--too good, as I'm generally wide awake. Have to get up and then hope I get tired again. Frankly I am not functioning well at work or otherwise so I started skipping some days so I can get some sleep. I had mild to moderate apnea beforehand so there's no real health danger--biggest issue is for the SO.

I know it's best to continually wear the thing but not sure the law would agree if I fall asleep driving down the road!

First of all; it will get better ! as your Body,Mind and Spirt assimilate.

Who is the SO? Have they mandated therapy with compliance rules?

When I started therapy I also felt like crap during the first six weeks. I would sleep 15-30 min then wake up. I also would lay awake after 3 1/2 hours watching the clock for the 4 hours mark so I could take the mask off. I felt dehydrated most of the day.

As time passed my sleep sessions have got longer and better. The dehydration went away and my body and mind adapted to the therapy. I believe yours will too.

There is an adjustment period, and everybody's is different

I am in day 94 and I now sleep well for 5-6 hours a night now with the mask on. I still take and occasional day off and sleep without the mask. Although there are a significant number of more experienced users in this forum that believe that is bad idea... My doctor recommends it....You should ask yours! It really depends on what else ails you (comorbidities)

Quote:
I did it may way
Frank Sinatra

Sleep-well

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2016, 07:26 AM)dawoodsman Wrote: I'm a week in to my first cpap use--good news is it's working--from the data and the SO's opinion--when I wear it. Problem is I am not sleeping long--max has been five hours, average 3-4--before waking up. When I wake up I feel pretty good--too good, as I'm generally wide awake. Have to get up and then hope I get tired again. Frankly I am not functioning well at work or otherwise so I started skipping some days so I can get some sleep. I had mild to moderate apnea beforehand so there's no real health danger--biggest issue is for the SO.

I'm sure you know the following statistics:
Mild SA - 5 to 15 AHI PER HOUR
Moderate SA-15 to 30 AHI PER HOUR

Let's just put you in the middle since we don't know your numbers.......you are being strangled at least 15 times an hour. That is a "real" health danger. Untreated SA will in time cause you many other problems that may be worse, like high blood pressure, heart problems, etc.
This will not likely go away no matter how much we would like it to. Smile

I hope you stick with this and give it time. Try a different mask if yours isn't comfortable. Mabye the FFM isnt for you, try a nasal or nasal pillow mask.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using xPAP for a couple of months now. I have recently started waking up some nights at 3:30 or 4 am. When I wake up, I feel too awake to go back to sleep but also very tired. I am hoping that it's a phase in adjusting to the treatment.

You might consider downloading the SleepyHead software and posting some graphs of your AHI, pressure, and flow. There might be something to see that might indicate why you're waking up.

If there isn't anything noticeable in the data and if you're not anti-meds, you might consider short-term use of sleep meds. It sounds like the sleep deprivation is causing you some real problems.

If you opt for sleep meds, be cautious. Probably best to try that first on a night when you don't have to go to work the next day and be careful about driving the next day until you know how they affect you if you haven't used them before.

(03-31-2016, 07:26 AM)dawoodsman Wrote: I'm a week in to my first cpap use--good news is it's working--from the data and the SO's opinion--when I wear it. Problem is I am not sleeping long--max has been five hours, average 3-4--before waking up. When I wake up I feel pretty good--too good, as I'm generally wide awake.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies--a bit more info that might help.

First, the "SO" is my "significant other". Otherwise known as my wife. Or the boss, the supreme commander, or she who must be obeyed. Smile

My first sleep test was 5-6 years ago, and I came in at just under 5 AHI then--didn't qualify. The test I took again a few months back was a bit bizarre. Like the first time, I didn't sleep well at all--not a surprise to me they way they wire you up. But I do know I slept fairly well for maybe 4 hours--when I woke up it was done, no way I was falling back asleep. The tech told me I didn't qualify again so they didn't run a titration test. I was not terribly happy as I--and my primary doctor--tended to trust my wife more than a test that assumes it can get good data from someone wired up like they do. I also know I have had something going on for years--some days I wake up with a bad sore throat from snoring, and on quite a few days when I was in bed all night I'd wake up feeling like I didn't sleep much at all.

Then I get a call from the sleep doc saying I qualified in the recent test. I don't know how the tech says you didn't qualify and then that answer changes when it hits the doc, but suspect he might have pushed things a bit knowing I did have an issue. They had talked me into coming into them again knowing I wasn't keen on another test where I failed to qualify.

I think I was told I was at 5.2 or 5.3 this time. So--pretty low on the scale.

FWIW I do intent to use it often and try to get used to it--but if I go three days in a row again without more than 3-5 hours of sleep I plan to skip a night. Hoping over time I can stop that entirely.

I don't have sleephead yet, want to wait a bit longer before diving in--but the nurse at the sleep docs told me my AHI was quite a bit lower when I wore the mask--down to 1 or 2--and I know on one of those nights it might have actually been me intentionally holding my breath.

My wife says she hears nothing out of me while wearing the mask--and I always snored a bit before. So it works--probably just need to get used to a mask that works for me! Hoping the new full face mask is a bit better than the first one I had, which I feel was contributing to my waking up.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 306 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Help with initial settings for cpap machine jtrops 11 798 11-11-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Day 3 - Intro & Initial Concerns DivaBreather 3 366 09-13-2023, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 503 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Help reading initial sleep study overzero 7 714 08-10-2023, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.