Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Initial use--every night?
RE: Initial use--every night?
(03-31-2016, 09:29 AM)Unsoundsleeper Wrote: I have never met anyone that didn't have initial problems getting used to it.

Well, unsound, you've finally met one. I took to it without any problems. Though I suspect it had more to do with the "threat" the sleep doc laid on me than anything that I actually did.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dawoodsman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP can take some time to get used to, but it will take you longer if you skip days, so hopefully, you can get past that and use it all of the time, even if you nap.
Much success to you and just keep on trying.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahi 5 trandlates into alot of stangulation in 5 hours.
Wear the thing. Anytime you lay down to sleep.
Your waking up is because your body is getting more rest.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2016, 09:15 AM)dawoodsman Wrote: Thanks OpalRose. I think you misread my post though--I feel a bit better when I don't wear the mask than when I do. First night I had 5 hours. Second night 3. Third night 3 1/2. On two of those nights I did not fall back asleep. By the third day I had no business driving a car...but I have to.

So I am skipping wearingthe mask on some days--even though I have some apnea I get more rest lately while not wearing the mask than when I do. I'm sure--I hope!--that will change as I get more used to the thing. Probably some dynmaic where I am coming out of deep REM sleep and while not still awak and somehow troubled by this big thing strapped tight to my face....and I wake up.

It's kind of a good thing bad thing scenario--I can tell already that its working as when I wake up I feel pretty good--but if I have only slept a few hours and never get back to sleep that feeling doesn't carry into the next day.
We need to see some Sleepyhead data!!

People on this site will do what ever they can to help you resolve the issues that are preventing your comfortable adjustment to CPAP. It can be done. I hope you will keep trying to adjust to it. Your life and the lives of others who are sharing the roads with you depend on it. Let us know specific issues you have so we can help.
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2016, 08:31 PM)PollCat Wrote:
(03-31-2016, 09:29 AM)Unsoundsleeper Wrote: I have never met anyone that didn't have initial problems getting used to it.

Well, unsound, you've finally met one.

I too had little difficulty adapting to an APAP machine and have used it every night since I got my first loaner for titration.

But that doesn't mean that other people's anxiety is not real. I have had panic disorders since my mid twenties and you can't just wish that away (although apparently you can eventually out age it).

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Help with initial settings for cpap machine jtrops 11 798 11-11-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Day 3 - Intro & Initial Concerns DivaBreather 3 366 09-13-2023, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 503 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Help reading initial sleep study overzero 7 714 08-10-2023, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.