Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user am I doing this right?
New user am I doing this right?
Hi all

The story so far. 14 years ago I had a sleep study and was told I had OSA that required therapy. I wasn't told anything else (AHI etc) just launched into using an APAP machine. I was also told I needed a FFM with the machine. I used it for about 3 months didn't notice much difference and due to my lack of knowledge I discontinued and shortly after lost a considerable amount of weight as I took up running again. So all seemed good as far as I was concerned my impression was that the condition was probably over diagnosed in order to sell more machines.

So fast forward the old knees didn't like getting back into running and last year after slowly decreasing they gave in and are now quite painfully. So as you have probably guessed some of the weight came back on. My doctor diagnosed me with hypertension and things started to go downhill for me. So I though hey maybe this OSA was real. I checked in for another slepp study and now armed with info from all you guys and gals I knew what to look for.

So here is me thinking maybe I have a mild OSA problem the sleep study revealed an AHI of 67 and O2 levels dropping to 72% Ouch!!!

Here is when the fun starts I had to pull out some favours and get in for a confirmation and tritation study. During this study The technician woke me after 2 hours to tell me that she didn't need me to go any more for confirmation (I think she was worried I was going to die on her shift). So we went straight into the tritation, I mentioned I would probably only be able to use a FFM. She suggested I try a nasal pillow, so I thought I would amuse her and tried that. Next I know she is waking me up 6 hours later with a full study done and no leaks from the pillows. Wow what a sleep. I drove straight to a medical supplier and bought a set of RESMED airfit P10 pillows and went home and dusted off the ancient APAP machine.

After 2 nights of great sleep I needed to know more so I ordered A Transcend mini CPAP what a great little machine. Within 2 weeks I tweaked the minimum pressure up and was averaging an AHI of 2 primarily Hyponeas.

Meanwhile my dr had gone through the process of organising a machine through the Dept of Veterans Affairs for me. I must say this was a delightful affair, the paperwork went in two days before Easter and two days after Easter I had a home visit by the DME with a new RESMED AirSense 10 Autoset with heated hose, DC converter, mask wipes, filters and a Nuance Pro pillow mask (how comfortable are they). What a great effort and support.

So first day use of the new machine and AHI is 1.8 but after pouring through the data the majority of these events are aponeas and seem longer than those I had on the Transcend. I have adjusted minimum settings up to match the Transcend now and will see how we go tonight.

OK now for the question if you haven't dozed off in my introduction. How much of a concern are hypoapneas over apenas? If I have one apnea event a night lasting 23 seconds and about 7 or 8 hypos is that good should I be happy with this? The leak data is good I am tolerating the therapy. I am feeling much better during the day although I am still sleeping 9.5 hours a day. So I am thinking I am on track and all looks good so I guess just after confirmation of this. I must admit the sleep study was a big shock to me and has prompted me to make it work this time.

A big thanks to all those on this board I have been reading a lot of this forum and without it I would not have been able to do what I have done so far.

Cheers

P.S. when I get something decent that I can show from SleepyHead (the Transcend didnt work with SH) I will post some screen shots
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user am I doing this right?
23 seconds is a little long, but only one a night is good. Hypos of 1 or so an hour is also fine, with these you are still getting some air flow.
If I posted numbers like that I would expect the more senior people to say therapy adjustment is done enjoy your sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't over think the numbers too much. In my opinion, at this point, it is more "how do you feel." Over "what the numbers say."
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Glad you got that therapy on the road! 67 is Severe, and especially those desats are severe! Your numbers are looking good now and you can live with them... best thing to do now is settle in and get used to the therapy, and work on comfort.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Meanwhile my dr had gone through the process of organising a machine through the Dept of Veterans Affairs for me. I must say this was a delightful affair, the paperwork went in two days before Easter and two days after Easter I had a home visit by the DME with a new RESMED AirSense 10 Autoset with heated hose, DC converter, mask wipes, filters and a Nuance Pro pillow mask (how comfortable are they). What a great effort and support.

You've got to give it to DVA - when they're good, they're really good. On the other hand, my sister spent over an hour on hold yesterday before being told we need to lodge certain paperwork for my mum - which I had twice been told wasn't necessary. Mostly though, they're very good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Grover64,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are off to a fairly good start, keep up the good work.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
Good luck the second time around.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Grover.. What a great response to the therapy. No worries, my friend, for a while as you become more of a veteran with time. Maybe get used to the recording of SleepyHead data and ""perhaps"" take a look at tweeking a bit later. For now, I wouldn't change anything. Enjoy the therapy.. Your healthy body will thank you for it..
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings Grover,

Thank You for your service!!!

I agree, take a week or two of use before you worry too much about the numbers. The body needs some time to adjust to this new sleep protocol.

Best regards,

Evpraxia
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2016, 04:52 PM)Evpraxia Wrote: Greetings Grover,

Thank You for your service!!!

I agree, take a week or two of use before you worry too much about the numbers. The body needs some time to adjust to this new sleep protocol.

Best regards,

Evpraxia

Evpraxia

Thank you, my pleasure.

So at day 3 of new machine all AHI down to 1.3 and Im not going to do detailed anaylis every day now just once a week then stretch that out to once a month.

Thanks all for your support

Grover
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,152 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.