Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Home Battery questions - smart chargers and standby switching?
RE: Home Battery questions - smart chargers and standby switching?
As to using a commercial UPS, they may not power your CPAP for very long, but they will get you through many outages. You can calculate the run time for many of them, but the manufacturers are not very good about giving you meaningful run time information, especially when running a low power load like a CPAP.

Many of them have audio alarms that will warn you that power is off. Some can be set up to turn off the alarm. I'm not sure if there are ones that will only turn on the alarm whenl the battery gets low.

Some UPS's and inverters put out a "modified sine wave" or "stepped approximation to sine wave." These terms are deceptive. They're more of a modified square wave than a modified sine wave.

Last time I looked, the ResMed S9 machines said modified sine wave (MSW) was OK, but don't say whether it's OK for the A10 machines. I've never been able to find Philips Respironics documentation that says yes or no for MSW.

It's probably OK, but I'm not sure.

More and more modern devices have problems working with MSW voltage from UPS's or inverters due to ill advised nanny state regulations about power factor correction.

BTW, if you want to test whether your CPAP will work with a UPS, you need to unplug the AC cord from the wall. Most UPS's are "standby" mode and just connect the output to the AC from the wall unless the wall power is off.

There are "pure sine wave" inverters/UPS's that put out a more normal voltage waveform, but they cost more money, and I suspect they're less efficient, especially at low power drains.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Carbon,

What kind of run times are you getting with your PowerStation II?
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't actually used it yet for more than 20 minutes sdb (a short blackout). It is supposed to run at least 8 hours with no humidifier, and a couple hours with.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 7 220 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 80 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 383 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 179 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Prisma Smart Max Revvysue 4 117 04-15-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Revvysue
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 178 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 307 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.