Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Silly question - what is a compliance test?
Silly question - what is a compliance test?
I do feel silly asking, because it seems pretty much everybody on here knows what it means, except for me.

I've noticed it mentioned frequently in different threads, including people fearing that they won't meet "100% compliance" etc, but I've been looking around for an explanation, and haven't found one yet. This isn't anything that came up at all in my sleep studies and one month trial with my Respiratory Therapist.
[Image: tz8toniko.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Silly question - what is a compliance test?
Varies by country and purpose.

In the US, it generally means more than 4 hours use per night in a 30 day period.
And, it is usually an insurance requirement for paying for a machine.

In countries that are part of the Commonwealth, like Canada (and I am no expert on this) non-compliance can mean loss of driving privilege.
I reasonably sure the same is true in the UK and Australia.

The rules for you are likely unique to Prince Edward Island.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Do truckers in the US have to prove compliance? I remember how tough it was to drive before I was treated. I hardly ever missed an opportunity to stop and rest.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2016, 07:33 PM)foss Wrote: Do truckers in the US have to prove compliance? I remember how tough it was to drive before I was treated. I hardly ever missed an opportunity to stop and rest.

Jeff

Yes. Commercial drivers must have a medical certificate. The rules for who gets sent for a sleep apnea test are vague at this time. Some examiner's are using BMI and/or neck circumference. Once diagnosed with sleep apnea, the driver must routinely show compliance by machine data.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason for the compliance test is to ensure that you actually are going to use the machine before the insurance pays for it. Personally I think the requirements are not strict enough, at least from what I can see you do not have to actually get better from the treatment, you just have to be using it. I guess the intent is that the doctor will make the call if it is worth you continuing to use the machine... I would like to see more "results" based medicine.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dr said that although insurance wants to see 4 hrs per night, it is best for your results if you use it the entire night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2016, 09:42 PM)Sn00zeAlarm Wrote: My Dr said that although insurance wants to see 4 hrs per night, it is best for your results if you use it the entire night.

Yes. In fact, every time one sleeps -- even for daytime naps.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2016, 07:20 PM)justMongo Wrote: Varies by country and purpose.

In the US, it generally means more than 4 hours use per night in a 30 day period.
And, it is usually an insurance requirement for paying for a machine.

In countries that are part of the Commonwealth, like Canada (and I am no expert on this) non-compliance can mean loss of driving privilege.
I reasonably sure the same is true in the UK and Australia.

The rules for you are likely unique to Prince Edward Island.

Interesting here in Australia. I was diagnosed with severe OSA last November. A quick check of my licence status online shows that I still have it. I've received nothing in the mail about compliance from the transport dept here in QLD so I guess that the sleep clinic didn't report it and neither did my GP. I'm happy to leave it this way.

Post Reply Post Reply
Holden4th we looked at the various state requirements in a thread not too long ago, but I can't put my finger on it right now. IIRC in Qld the Dr may report apnea if he considers there is a substantial threat to public safety but the patient is required to report it. There is a very comprehensive report on assessing fitness to drive on the Austroads website: https://www.onlinepublications.austroads.../AP-G56-13 This covers a whole range of issues including sleep disorders, cardio-vascular, diabetes etc etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
That was this thread, Paul. And, it got to be 5 pages.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...land-rules
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you regain CPAP coverage after failing compliance the first time? dharma2255 4 125 2 hours ago
Last Post: dharma2255
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,541 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 153 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 258 03-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 158 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 314 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 295 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.