Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

oximetry interpretation guide for sleepyhead
oximetry interpretation guide for sleepyhead
Is there a guide for understanding oximetry data in sleepyhead? Or what readings to expect in a sleep apnea patient.

Thanks
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: oximetry interpretation guide for sleepyhead
I found this article, "Overnight Pulse Oximetry for Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Adults". Not specifically about SleppyHead, but if you scroll down it has some diagrams and how to interpret them.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: oximetry interpretation guide for sleepyhead
The generally accepted threshold for SP02 is >/=88%. While it's also important to collect some baseline data when you are awake for comparison, any significant time intervals (several minutes) spent below this level are generally associated with the body not getting enough oxygen and thus being in a state of stress, interfering with sleep.

If during therapy you are still observing significant desaturation events below 88%, your setup might need to be tweaked, or in more extreme cases you might need supplemental oxygen.

Oximetry data can be especially telling when synced with your PAP detailed data - you can check for correlation of the desats with other metrics, in particular flow rate and the calling of AHI events (OA, H, and CA). I also "believe" that you can get a very rough idea of your sleep cycles, in particular REM periods, from your oximetry data. I confirmed my suspicion in a scholarly article I found once, though I haven't been able to locate it again. If I find it, I'll update this post with a link.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,177 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
Smile How is my OSCAR data looking? Help with interpretation deirdrepen 3 227 02-29-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] Transitional CSA - oximetry freaking me out. How low is too low? Apprenticepragmatist 8 728 02-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Inconsistent sleep - OSCAR interpretation dadjackets 2 267 02-21-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AutoSV data interpretation assistance needed PappaJoe 21 687 02-11-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 362 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.