Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hope for the newbies
RE: Hope for the newbies
Welcome

and great job getting started!!!

IMO, unless there are comfort issues with the current pressures that are causing you not to sleep, you should leave things alone for a bit. AHI can fall more as you accustom to the therapy, and re: air swallowing, if you swallow on exhale a couple of times awake it will feel so much better you will do it naturally and swallow much less air.

If your AHI remains ~5 there is a good chance that using data the therapy can be "dialed-in" to better treat your individual needs. You should download the free/donation Sleepyhead software and review your data with help from the very educated folk here --- be aware that changing EPR can affect the therapy -- for the better or the worse depending on your individual needs.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the welcome. You all know what it's like, and that's just what I need.

I am still using a device that's on loan. Luckily, when I am ready to buy, most of the cost will be covered by our provincial and private health plans. Currently, there is a Sleep Apnea technician monitoring my progress and making suggestions every few days. One of the counselors (?) is very encouraging. The other one makes me feel like a failure. Guess which one I like speaking to?

I still have much to learn and appreciate any and all advice.

Current questions:

Why is EPR important?
Do you travel a lot with your machine? What has been your experience?
When you have a short nap (less than 2 hours), do you always use your CPAP?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Went on a cruise with mine. Needed an extension cord and distilled water. Cruise was eager to supply both. Worked out the extension cord but had to supply distilled water. Cruise line had distilled water for $4 a gallon. Less than a beer. As for security at the airport, it passes the same as a computer. Case and unit are separate. Also does not count as either carry on or personal item. Free passage.

Yes, my naps are on therapy. The get better quality sleep than a whole night on therapy.

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Dramagal27,
EPR is a comfort setting. Some folk like it and some don't.
EPR will lower the pressure a bit when exhaling. If you have a problem with breathing out against pressure, then this will help.
If you decide to use this feature, you should try a setting of 2 to start.

I seldom take naps, but when I do, I use my CPAP even if it's just an hour.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR makes the CPAP or APAP function in a limited way like a bilevel. limited, because the amount of pressure support available is much less than a bilevel.

Downside:
The pressure relief can make your pressure needs higher depending on the type of incident's you are having. Changing pressures and higher pressures can both (variably) cause central/clear airway apnea events, which is why I would only do that if reviewing results.

Upside:
A benefit of EPR is that like bi-level it can lower pap induced intra-thoracic pressure thereby relieving load on heart and kidneys, and reducing pap induced water retention (yup, that is a thing)

Regarding naps... I rarely nap, but if I do, it is with my machine. No desire whatsoever to strangle every couple of minutes for even 10 min Smile much less an hour! Actually, the one time I slept for an hour without the machine (by accident) I woke with a stunningly bad headache!
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
You will probably also find that you can reduce the EPR/Flex over time. I started with 3 and am at one now and this reminded me to turn it off. You have to allow time for your body and mind to acclimate to this new way of sleeping. The changes can be very gradual.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello DramaGirl and welcome to the forum. The Dreamwear mask is great, it greatly enhanced my therapy.

Based on a comment you made can I suggest an alternative to a chinstrap. I, and many other mouth breathers, use a soft cervical collar to control this issue. While a chinstrap worked OK for me the collar was far more effective and also more comfortable. It does one thing a chin strap doesn't and that is prevent chin droop which will start to close your airway. The higher your chin the more your airway is open.

Best wishes for your continuing therapy
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't give up...it gets way better once things start to jive.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Change to BIPAP vauto in hope for better therapy Dave Water 41 2,938 05-24-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  what's the best pricing to hope for Resmed 11 Dave W 3 485 03-08-2023, 01:38 PM
Last Post: jeffpack1957
Smile Waiting on CPAP/Looking for adivice + hope kentuckywildcats87 4 591 07-12-2022, 07:52 AM
Last Post: kentuckywildcats87
  [Health] MOSTLY FOR NEWBIES srlevine1 6 879 06-07-2022, 01:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Losing hope feeling worse on CPAP than without. Any advice? AFAFAF 43 3,442 11-24-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Newbies Only - Joined since 2017 PollCat 2 818 10-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Newbie here, I have 2 questions hope you can help with Pinkpetal 7 1,315 07-03-2019, 12:07 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.