Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed 10 Autoset v F&P Icon
ResMed 10 Autoset v F&P Icon
Hi All,

First - let me say this is just my story - I know a lot of people like the Icon..... but I think I've found my machine!

I'm in my month CPAP trial, started with the Icon. AHI's for the last few days of use with the Icon -

1.07, 2.88, 1.52, 2.17, 1.85 (all with SenseAwake on)

Still good - I agree (my starting AHI was 63).

First 3 nights using ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset (in CPAP mode) -

0.81, 0.32, and last night - 0.25! And that was 7h 51mins of uninterrupted use! That's unheard of! (especially when I have 3 small kids! Wink )

I definitely respond to the ResMEd better than the Icon! Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed 10 Autoset v F&P Icon
I'm the same. My results with the ICON were all over that magic number of 5. The first night with the S9 was also the first time I went under 5.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am also trialling an Icon Auto vs an S10, and find I get better sleep with the Senseawake feature off! My AHI numbers on the Resmed are better, but my TTIA was much much higher on the Resmed than the Icon (in the order of 4 minutes vs 20 seconds). My wife called the manufacturers and discovered the Resmed does not react/increase the pressure in response to an event until it determines the event is over. It also only registers an event as an apnea if it is at least 10 seconds duration. The Icon operates differently by increasing pressure immediately an event is detected, and registers apneas of any duration. This meant, for me, that my blockages using the Icon are only lasting for around 1 second, as the immediate pressure increase is clearing them. This explained my apparent discrepancy in the time spent in apnea, and also why I feel much better when using the Icon.

So we discovered that the AHI numbers only told part of the story.

All this analysis is possible only because of the wonderful Sleepyhead software - thank you so much to Mark!
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that different machines report AHI's and other stats somewhat differently. I'm not techie and have no idea why, just what I've heard hanging around here.

Remember that how you feel is a big part of the decision of which machine you should choose. Don't only go by the numbers.

Good luck!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Coffeeman, welcome to Apnea Board.

It's very interesting to hear about the difference in TTIA between the Resmed and F&P machines. However your mention of them responding after one second doesn't seem quite right. When you think about it, most peoples' sleeping respiration rate is about 10 - 15 breaths per minute. That's one breath every four to six seconds. Which implies that a one second apnea isn't really possible.

I haven't been able to find any papers on the F&P algorithm, but I suspect the difference may be that (as you said) Resmed doesn't increase pressure until after the event, but it may be that the F&P starts increasing pressure after a fixed time of maybe 10 seconds. There are a lot of other factors at play here, such as how the machine detects and responds to central apneas and how it responds to apnea precursors such as snoring and flow limitation.

If you know of any technical details on the F&P I'd be really interested to read them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2016, 06:37 PM)davidb01 Wrote: First 3 nights using ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset (in CPAP mode) -
Did you also set the Icon at 9 same as A10?
Also will need to turn off SenseAwake on the Icon and EPR on the A10, either turn off Ramp or set them for same period and starting pressure on both machine for a comparison, otherwise comparing apples with oranges

Some points of difference ...
A10 differentiate between obstructive and central events and score them separately, the icon has no such capabilities
SensAwake is unique to the icon, suppose to drop the pressure whenever it senses that you're awake
A10 has EPR (pressure relief) not available on the Icon , drop pressure during exhale
Some find useful and not so hard breathing out against pressure

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 455 20 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 116 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 474 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,242 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 595 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Sad F&P ICON auto is dead Letsgomom 19 14,315 01-09-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: capman911

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.