Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Where do I start (my first night on cpap + sleepyhead)
RE: Where do I start (my first night on cpap + sleepyhead)
(05-30-2016, 12:30 AM)verbatim1 Wrote:
(05-29-2016, 05:46 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: For the life of me I don't know what bad things can happen to me just from people seeing my APAP data.
Everyone in the USA has a fundamental right to privacy, and medical privacy is included in that fundamental right.
Actually privacy isn't mentioned in your constitution. It is a right by virtue of a Supreme Court decision. Supreme court's change.
Quote:However, it's trivial to see how the sleep apnea can be used for nefarious purposes that I will only mention a couple of ways.

1. If a bugler wants to know if you're asleep, the breathing patterns will tell her that information.

Not until an hour after you've woken up for a Resmed machine and then they have to hack the Resmed site. If they can do that a few low profit burglaries will be the last thing on their mind.

They can generally tell more easily by noticing that your lights are out at night for example.

Quote:2. If a wife wants to know if her husband is at her best friend's house instead of on a week-long business trip, the IP address on the connection will tell her where he is.

Resmed machines use the cell network - no IP's involved so far as I know.
Quote:3. If I can tap into the machine to change the settings, I can also install firmware to do anything I want it to do (think of what happened to the Siemens centrifuge controllers in the Iran nuclear facility, for example).

It would be easier to simply sneak into your house while you're away and install the malware. Again the machine ain't on the internet (unless you have a WIFI enabled SD card in it like I do).

Quote:However, I fully recognize that many people have already given up on protecting their privacy, like a kid who allows the punks to bully him about; and I can't say that it's the wrong thing to do. It's just the wrong thing for "me" to do.

Except facts is facts. The earth ain't flat, and you have no privacy. When the battle is lost you stop fighting. Of course you have the right to but your head against the wall as long as you like. Google David Brin for an authoritative take on the subject and a suggestion for a practical solution: "sousveillance".

Quote:The only thing I ask for is a way to say "Don't tell me again" when the machine nags that Airplane mode is on.

No law against asking, but don't hold your breath... unless you maybe have a few spare million bucks to support a team of lawyers for a suit.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

(05-30-2016, 08:10 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Actually privacy isn't mentioned in your constitution. It is a right by virtue of a Supreme Court decision. Supreme court's change.

I think it's even more nuanced than that, as the Griswald v. Connecticut decision ruled the that Constitution protected a right to privacy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griswold_v._Connecticut), but, as you noted, it's not super explicit in the Constitution, and even the extremely explicit stuff (e.g., the right to bear arms) is hotly contested even to this day.

It would be a rathole to go down, but it seems there are actually dozens of similar decisions (http://www.reproductiverights.org/docume...91-present).
(05-30-2016, 08:10 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Not until an hour after you've woken up for a Resmed machine and then they have to hack the Resmed site. If they can do that a few low profit burglaries will be the last thing on their mind.
OK. I didn't know it wasn't real time. That does knock out my burglar idea; but as you noted, they would just hack the web site to find out my sleeping hours after the fact as a meta-data pattern.

(05-30-2016, 08:10 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Resmed machines use the cell network - no IP's involved so far as I know.

Fair enough. I "was" thinking WiFi for some reason, so, you are correct that an IP address isn't involved; yet, something akin to an IP address "is" involved, which is the phone number (actually the IMEI number) of the CDMA device, which, for our nefarious purposes, is essentially the same thing without the geolocation capabilities.

I admit, without geolocation to the IMEI, it's not the same as an IP address (which is more easily geolocated); however, if we wanted to learn how, we could either figure out which cell towers were in communication with the device or, even more directly, we'd simply attack SS7 and obtain the entire downloaded data.

We'd know which cell phone tower and when the cheating spouse went to bed to actually sleep, as opposed to more strenuous activities. Smile
(05-30-2016, 08:10 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: It would be easier to simply sneak into your house while you're away and install the malware. Again the machine ain't on the internet (unless you have a WIFI enabled SD card in it like I do).
Again, I had forgotten that it's not on the Internet until the data gets to your profile on the web site.

But even so, if I can dial into the ResMed CDMA modem, the "attack" would proceed similarly as if I was hacking through the Internet.

I must repeat that I'm not saying this stuff happens, although, I must also say that I am an avid student of political/war/diplomacy history, and, well, let's just say that only God herself knows more than the NSA about what goes on in this world via our communications networks.

(05-30-2016, 08:10 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Except facts is facts. The earth ain't flat, and you have no privacy.
It's not true - you must fight it - every step of the way. If you say that we have no privacy, then you deserve no privacy; but I refuse to say that - and I will fight to the last to maintain my privacy. I log into this web site via TOR for example, just so that my IP address isn't known - and I do a million other things (like never give out my SSN unless it's actually required by law) to protect my privacy.

Anyway, giving up isn't the right answer "for me"; but it may be the correct answer for others - and that I won't argue further as it's not germane to the question of whether "my" provider actually bothers to dial in to check on my stats.

Do you know how to tell if the provider does that?
They never once mentioned that they do.

(05-30-2016, 08:10 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: No law against asking, but don't hold your breath... unless you maybe have a few spare million bucks to support a team of lawyers for a suit.
Actually, I accidentally hit upon a solution that "seems" to work. I just ignore the nag screen. When it asks if I want to turn off the Airplane mode, instead of hitting "No", I just ignore the question.

As long as I'm not fiddling with the controls, I can do that, and it doesn't seem to cause any harm. I only belatedly noticed this by accident, so I will test it for a while simply by ignoring the question, and if that works, then the problem is resolved. Actually the problem resolves itself (unless you want to use the controls for some other reason at that moment).

(05-31-2016, 12:30 AM)verbatim1 Wrote:
(05-30-2016, 08:10 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Except facts is facts. The earth ain't flat, and you have no privacy.
It's not true - you must fight it - every step of the way. If you say that we have no privacy, then you deserve no privacy;

It's not a matter of deserve or don't deserve. It's just a fact and it's going to get easier, not harder, to spy on you. I can only suggest you read David Brin's latest article on the subject at [http]://davidbrin.blogspot.ca/2016/05/the-futility-of-hiding.html

(Edited so as not to provide a direct link, just remove the square brackets at the start). This guy is an astrophysicist as well as a best selling author and he knows his stuff.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

I think this thread has pretty much drifted off into the pros and cons of privacy protection, especially as it relates to the transmission of data on a ResMed A10 machine's cell phone radio.

If anyone want to bring up the issues associated with the treatment of sleep apnea, feel free to start a new thread.

This thread is closed.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,141 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 401 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,283 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 351 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 433 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Night Guard use with CPAP brettski99 3 635 10-14-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jstro84

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.