Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does AHI contunue to improve?
RE: Does AHI contunue to improve?

Sleepyhead data attached. I have already heard my minimum pressure needs to go up. Any idea from this data. Do I need to lower my max pressure too?
I am having a difficult time falling asleep until the pressure reaches ~8 (keep waking up with the feeling of restricted mask input (even though I know it isn't restricted, but while inhaling it feels like I have a restriction (like asthma)).
Post Reply Post Reply
You should start to inch your minimum pressure up to start at 8, but moving that all at once isn't a good idea. Why not try to move it to 6 or 6.5, then wait at least a week. I personally wouldn't want to feel air starved at a pressure of 5. You will probably end up around 9, and yes, there seems to be no reason to leave max pressure at 20. Bring it down to 15.

You have a cluster of clear airways, but that's normal and should level off.

The next time you post a chart, use this format.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2016, 04:30 AM)Asjb Wrote:
(05-26-2016, 08:12 PM)NorthernGuy Wrote: I am a new APAP user....... During my sleep study my AHI was in the 30's. Most of my apneas were obstructive and occurring during REM stages. Very few central apnea events......Since I have been on APAP my AHI is stuck around 7-9 with only 2-3 OSA event/night. The rest are now showing up as clear apneas or hypoapneas.

Should I continue to see improvements or is this the best I will see?

Hello Northern Guy - when you say 'new user' how long have you actually been using xPAP?

Hello again Northern Guy. Could you let us know how long you've been using xPAP? New (days, a week or so) users can be sensitive to changes in pressure settings so gently, gently would be the idea.

But if you are a relatively seasoned user, used to the mask and etc, then from your graphs I would suggest you increase your minimum by up to 2 cms (speed of change as tolerated), and decrease your maximum pressure by up to 7 cms (ditto as tolerated). Your graphs suggest you may initiallly settle well at around 7-13. Once you are at or near that range, the graphs and how you feel will guide how much more adjustment of the pressure range will suit you.

You graphs show that you spend some time climbing up from your minimum pressure of 5, which is wasted treatment time. And many people find a pressure as low as 5 to be uncomfortable and 'suffocating'. And the graphs show that you do not need anything near your current max of 20 at the moment.

I would also mention again that over the next few months you will need to keep an eye on your centrals - number of events/hr and as a percentage of total AHI. Your current type of machine may not be what you need for the long-term.

But all these changes will be likely to be difficult to tolerate if done over a short time if you are new to xPAP. Which is why I asked you 'how new to xPAP' you are. If you started treatment very recently, then it looks like you are getting off to a very good start by asking all the right questions and I suggest you take the pressure changes slowly - would suggest changing max and min by no more than 1 cm each week or so. Hope it goes well.
.................................................................................................
All my opinions are only as an xPAP user trying to help another xPAP user.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as professional advice.
If you have medical concerns please consult a doctor

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-13. PS 3-10

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,286 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 527 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 348 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Improve my CPAP Performance dpoelker 4 261 02-06-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 502 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Help interpreting OSCAR results to improve my sleep Provolone 5 541 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Provolone
  Before: 16 AHI, After: 2-3 AHI. Please help analyze to see if I can improve at all kenmai9 9 764 10-27-2023, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.