Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AveoTSD Tongue Holder
AveoTSD Tongue Holder
I've been using a pair of homebrew stacked athletic mouthpieces with great success for OSA. I wanted to improve on this and I wondered if there is a better commercial mouthpiece that actually holds the tongue in place - from dropping back during sleep.

After doing some searches and reading, I see a tongue holding device called the "aveoTSD tongue stabiling device." It uses a suction principle to grasp the tongue and is made of a rubber material.

Needs a dentist/doc prescription but is installed easily by the patient. I may try one.

Anyone have experience with this device? I don't see any price on their website. Hopefully it's less than $50 for a piece of plastic...Wink

Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AveoTSD Tongue Holder
Can't post the commercial link here, but I found a Canadian site that sells it for $105. Not sure if they ship to the US or not. Looks like they may be prescription-required in the U.S.

If you want to find the website, just do a Google search for "Aveo TSD Canada" and it's probably the 4th or 5th link from the top - the one with "canada" in the web address.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2012, 04:53 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Can't post the commercial link here, but I found a Canadian site that sells it for $105. Not sure if they ship to the US or not. Looks like they may be prescription-required in the U.S.

I don't know about the prescription, but a dentist offered it to me for $300. His practice is in Tijuana, so he said he would have to order it and then ship it my address in the US. He didn't say anything at all about sizing, yet I notice on the Aveo site they offer a sizing kit for professionals. It might be an interesting experiment if it can be had for just $105, but I'm confused about the sizing issue. Does one size fit all, or what?

If I had one I'd try it while also using my CPAP machine. The machine would record the data so I could see if the thing works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Howdy JJJ...

I read on another website that there are 3 sizes: small, medium, large.

They also sold a sizing kit to health care professions, in order to measure their patients for the correct size of device.

If I remember correctly, just the sizing kit I saw was something like $300, but again, you have to have a health care professional account already set up with them to order that or to order the actual Aveo TSD device in one of the three sizes.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
There is a Canadian company offering them direct w/o a prescription for $105 plus $10 shipping. Do the search and you will see them listed on Google.

They say that the medium fits 95% of all tongues. Tongue size is measured by length.

I noticed that the tongue needs to stick out of the mouth all night... :-) That may take some getting used to. Some people have salvia leak problems the first week. I wonder if the tongue needs to stick out THAT far to work? Just keeping mine in the normal position seems to work with my own athletic mouth guard.

Another mouth device I'm looking at is the "SnoreRX." There was an ad on this website I clicked. Out of all the mouthpieces, including the dental custom $$ fit ones, this seems the best. It allows adjustment allowing the lower jaw to move up to 5mm forward, pulling the tongue with it. It costs $99 and gets fitted with boiling water like the athletic guard. Actually I like this one the best, better the the tongue device so far. Probably cuz I know mine works already.

It also stops teeth grinding. I've done it for years and this can cause neck and jaw pain along with tooth damage. So, it may be worth a try.

JJJ, yes, adding in a mouth device with your S9 CPAP would be an interesting experiment to see what the data shows.

Whatever I come up with in the end, it will be my very best effort. The reward is too high not to try.

Tom
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 96 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 499 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 975 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
  Oscar Data Immediate Wake Ups - Tongue / Palate? ancheero 6 654 12-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ancheero
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 311 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,365 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  [Treatment] Friedman Tongue Position Cantbreath95 2 1,246 12-02-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.