Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Devilbiss Intellipap Question
Devilbiss Intellipap Question
Hello everyone. You all have provide such great information I was wondering could someone please give me with some insight regarding what I am doing wrong. I was diagnosed with UARS because my tonger slides back and blocks my airway. I did not recieve a a formal titration though. My Docter prescribed an APAP machine with a standard setting of 4-14. I have been using my APAP for about 2 months now. My AHI averaged around 7.1 for a couple of weeks. I have sinced tried to tweak the settings however my AHI is not improving that much and I continue to wake up feeling tired. My current pressure setting is 11-14, AutoFlex is off, Irounding 1, Erounding 2. One day I woke up and my report stated that my AHI was 2.5! I felt great. However the next day my AHI was 4.5. Everday after that I've had an average AHI of 5.5-6.5. When I attempt to increase the pressure my AHI increases as well. For instance last night I increased the pressure to 13-17 and my AHI was 7.0. It seems like the higher my pressure..the higher my AHI goes as well. I'm just really confused at this point. I'm tired of waking up feeling horrible. Ive tried different pressures. I have also tried to different sleeping positions. I adjusted the irounding and erounding several times. I have even used the APAP in CPAP mode to see if I would get better results. However that didnt change anything either. I dont know what to do any longer.
Does anyone have any know why a higher pressure setting would cause my AHI to increase? I would that that a higher pressure would actually decrease my AHI. Also does the Irounding and Erounding still work if the AutoFlex is turned off? Do you think that and APAP will actualy be able to treat a condition such as UARS?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Devilbiss Intellipap Question
(07-08-2012, 11:33 AM)justaskin Wrote: When I attempt to increase the pressure my AHI increases as well. For instance last night I increased the pressure to 13-17 and my AHI was 7.0. It seems like the higher my pressure..the higher my AHI goes as well. I'm just really confused at this point. I'm tired of waking up feeling horrible. Ive tried different pressures.

Welcome to the board! Welcome

What is your CA? There is some strong evidence that links higher than necessary pressures to incidence of increased CAs. How about your leak rate? Some people find that they had no trouble with leaks at lower pressure, but after their pressure was raised, they had a lot of leaks. If you are getting too many leaks, you are not receiving enough pressure and it will force up you AHI as well. In your case where you felt good one day, a diary would probably be helpful so that you can replicate the good days. Include things like what you did that day, how much exercise you got, what drugs or alcohol you consumed (many of us take various drugs for various medical conditions, I didn't mean to imply...well....whatever.), what you ate and drank throughout the day, etc. Perhaps you can find a pattern. Many different drugs can do weird things to different people. For instance I take Vicodin, one helps somewhat, and I sleep pretty well. Two or more n one day though and it keeps me awake. You would thnk I would be out like a light, but not me! I have odd reactions. You might want to read up on Sleep Hygiene as well. Lot's of good tips there.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi justaskin, First, Welcome! to the forum. It would help you to keep a diary of what you do through the day regarding what you eat and drink and how much exercise you get. I'm sorry you are having such a ROUGH time but don't give up as CPAP therapy can take lots of patience. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2012, 11:33 AM)justaskin Wrote: My Docter prescribed an APAP machine with a standard setting of 4-14. I have been using my APAP for about 2 months now. My AHI averaged around 7.1 for a couple of weeks.

So, two weeks into your therapy you started making changes to your pressure?

Quote:I have sinced tried to tweak the settings however my AHI is not improving that much and I continue to wake up feeling tired. My current pressure setting is 11-14,

I would suggest that you're adjusting your pressure too often. Too high of a pressure can induce central apneas, which will increase your AHI. Have you followed up with your doctor? Do you know what you CA index was during that initial two-week period? Do you know how much time you spent near the upper end of your pressure range?

AHI varies due to a lot of factors. You usually have to wait several weeks to see how a pressure adjustment will affect your AHI.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whats the leak and 90% percentile pressure
The Irounding and Erounding (pressure wave form) works when you use SmartFlex (exhale pressure relief)

Flow Limitation/UARS and BiPAP - Barry Krakow MD
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-and-BiPAP

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] DeVilbiss Smartlink Module DV5M fault innovativekiwi 0 599 01-10-2023, 01:43 AM
Last Post: innovativekiwi
  IntelliPAP 2 & IntelliPAP Blue (DV63 & DV64) Service Manual now available SuperSleeper 0 461 11-21-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  OSCAR + Devilbiss DV64 questions Cuppa 6 635 11-19-2022, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Cuppa
  DeVilbiss IntelliPAP Auto Adjust Error message E06 MSGabbani 2 1,070 08-13-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: MSGabbani
  [CPAP] Help with Devilbiss DV6 CPAP data and settings Catalynux 45 5,657 06-30-2022, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  Devilbiss Intellipap disassembly REMember 5 1,078 03-31-2022, 07:27 AM
Last Post: REMember
  Devilbiss 12 volt power cable Cuppa 1 880 09-24-2021, 12:29 AM
Last Post: Cuppa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.