Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone ever tried a simple headband instead of taping for mouth leaks?
Has anyone ever tried a simple headband instead of taping for mouth leaks?
I've searched and found several posts about using a headband for a chin strap. I think I've found a better way to use one. Maybe it's a common answer (I'm now to CPAP treatment), but in my search just now I only found one brief mention of it on this board.

I'm waiting for a chin strap to arrive in the mail from my supplier. In the meantime, desperate for an uninterrupted night's sleep, a couple days ago I borrowed a plain old 2" headband from my wife and cleaned it up, not for a chin strap but to use across my lips.

It holds my lips in place the same as mouth taping would, except it's got to be a lot more comfortable — especially for someone like me with a beard and mustache. If I need to talk I can just move the headband for a moment and then put it back.

My problem isn't so much with my jaw dropping as it is with my lips parting to let air out. This works so well for me I'm not sure I'm going to use the chin strap when it comes. (I think it could also work for someone whose jaw tends to drop a little bit.)

If you decide to go buy one try to get a simple tube head band. It needs some substance to it. The less stitching in it the better. If it's too loose you can pad it with a clean handkerchief or something like that. I might try a sports headband sometime, except I wonder about the scratchiness of the terry cloth.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has anyone ever tried a simple headband instead of taping for mouth leaks?
I haven't tried a headband per se, but I did try an Ace bandage. I configured it a few nights as a chin strap and a few nights as a mouth cover. Neither worked for me.

I think there is a wide range of issues at play. In my case I could wire my mouth closed and in my sleep I would find a way to breath through my lips. I found a surgical tape with extra strong adhesive and taped my lips shut and wore a chin strap - and I still managed to occasionally blow the tape off enough to create a leak. Oh, and I tried denture adhesive to glue my lips together, and that worked as long as I make a perfect seal - any imperfection and they would be major leaks by the next morning.

In my case, I am resigned to learning to keep my big fat mouth shut. My wife has been telling me to do that for years, it looks like she was right all along (just don't tell her that I said that Smile )

On the other hand, I have read of people that just a simple chin strap works to keep them from having mouth leaks. So, I think we each need to keep looking until we find our own solution.

Frank
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tomgtc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you have found a solution for keeping your mouth closed.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not advocate the use of tape or glue or anything to close the lips during sleep. Just too dangerous. If you cannot open your mouth quickly enough, you could aspirate or choke. Plus I am allergic to adhesives and the idea of tape on my face makes me shiver. And gagging on my own spit or stomach acid is even worse.

At any rate, for lip leaks, I had decent success with the PAPCap. It is a cloth chin strap specifically designed for leap leaks. But I got tired of the headgear for the nasal pillows then the cap then getting it all to be nice with each other...I finally just went to a full face mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
In terms of a headband across the lips, my bet is it would not work for very long. It would have to be fairly tight but a delicate balance between tight enough to keep the lips together but not so tight as to push them apart and/or cause gum issues.

The PAPCap works by keeping the cheeks from filling.

At the bottom of Dara Vader's posts, her signature line, are tips on how to train yourself to keep your tongue up so air does not entire the mouth. Have you tried that?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 352 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 132 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 157 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 105 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.