Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Should heated hose get warm?
Should heated hose get warm?
Hi,
Newbie here. I have a Resmed Airsense 10 with the heated hose. I noticed that the hose is usually not warm to the touch. I am trying to run it in manual with the humidity set at 6 and the hose temp set at max but have intermittent rain out problems. I noticed that the hose only feels warm once in a while. I discussed this with the vendor I got it from and they sent me a replacement hose but I still have the same problems. Should the hose feel warm? I am wondering if perhaps the machine itself has an issue. Often I also have moisture in the tube which I can't find a way to quickly dry out. As I travel for a living, when I wake up I need to pack it up and get moving and I don't like putting the hose away with moisture inside it.
Any advice? Should the hose feel warm to the touch? I have a fleece hose cover but have never used it as I then wouldn't be able to see how much moisture was in the hose, is that all I need to do? Any quick way to dry the hose?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should heated hose get warm?
I use a ResMed heated hose, it does go warm on startup then I guess the temperature control cuts in and after that it is difficult to feel much difference, saying that it works very well running at 6% humidity and 30deg.C.
I remove it from the machine each morning hanging it in the shower and rarely does any moisture come out.

The heated hose I found to be magic, prior to using one if I set the humidity to 5 or above I got the washed face, and that setting was not enough top resolve the dry mouth problem.

Results will vary depending on ambient temperature and humidity.

Welcome to the site, much useful information to be gained here.
Post Reply Post Reply
The hose will not feel warm to the touch unless it is covered with a fleece hose cover. Also makes it nicer to feel when it brushes your face at night.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I'll slip the fleece cover on the hose and see if that helps :-)

Thanks for the replies.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi VMOMMO,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The heated hose should just barely feel warm to the touch.
I use a hose cover and I find it works well, the hose feels a bit warm but not much, even with the cover.
If you still have rainout after using the hose cover, you might turn your humidity back a bit and see if that helps you with your rainout problem.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
About the water droplets staying in the hose. I have noticed that it takes several hours for my hose to dry after I wash it. Small droplets cling to the inside of the hose.

A hair dryer on low heat might work to dry out the inside of the hose.

I have also wondered about whether the small packs of desiccant crystals (silica gel?) would work to absorb the water inside the hose.

I can understand why you wouldn't want water droplets left inside your hose if it's packed all day.

Two short tube cleaning brushes with some sort of absorbent but non-shedding fabric placed inside each end of the hose might work, too. You just don't want to use any sort of fabric that would shed particles that you'd end up inhaling later.

(06-08-2016, 08:16 AM)VMOMMO Wrote: Hi,
Newbie here. I have a Resmed Airsense 10 with the heated hose. I noticed that the hose is usually not warm to the touch. I am trying to run it in manual with the humidity set at 6 and the hose temp set at max but have intermittent rain out problems. I noticed that the hose only feels warm once in a while. I discussed this with the vendor I got it from and they sent me a replacement hose but I still have the same problems. Should the hose feel warm? I am wondering if perhaps the machine itself has an issue. Often I also have moisture in the tube which I can't find a way to quickly dry out. As I travel for a living, when I wake up I need to pack it up and get moving and I don't like putting the hose away with moisture inside it.
Any advice? Should the hose feel warm to the touch? I have a fleece hose cover but have never used it as I then wouldn't be able to see how much moisture was in the hose, is that all I need to do? Any quick way to dry the hose?

Post Reply Post Reply
I had similar issues. They stopped when I put a fleece cover over the hose and turned the climate control tube setting to auto. No rainout no droplets (you can quickly unzip the cover to tell without removing it entirely)
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple things:
to work the hose has to be warmer than the room and that is usually cooler than your body temperature. If you touch something cooler than your body temperature it will not feel hot or even very warm (skin temperature is lower than body temperature.

as for water in the hose, you don't want standing water for a long time. While you travel from one spot to another is no different from having it sit bedside with some moisture in it. as soo as you turn it on it will get moist again. I don't bother drying mine for less than 24 hours before it gets wet again. Now dripping in your suitcase is another matter. swing it round and round, the big stuff is gone, just don't hit the lamps

Plastic does not conduct heat very well so the surface of the hose is going to be someplace between the temperature inside the hose and the room temperature. You only care about what the inside of the plastic hose temperature is. If your not getting rainout, then it is fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2016, 08:16 AM)VMOMMO Wrote: Newbie here. I have a Resmed Airsense 10 with the heated hose. I noticed that the hose is usually not warm to the touch.

That's not a bug, that's a feature. You don't want the outside of the tube to be warm, you want the inside surface to be warm so water won't condense on it. I believe the air from your humidifier is already heated and the hose doesn't try to heat it more, just to keep the inside surface above the dew point.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
As eseedhouse says, the heated hose only has to keep the temperature of the inside surface above the dew point of the air going through it in order to prevent rainout. The room temperature is not a controlling factor.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,646 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Hose volume Willw 4 283 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 1,004 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 649 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 259 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 396 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 629 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.