Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backup cpap, buy blower or blower + humidifier?
Backup cpap, buy blower or blower + humidifier?
My s9 autoset is about 3.5 years old and going strong. I have backup hoses, mask, and cushions but no backup for the blower or humidifier. I see secondwind has great prices on the s9 autoset base unit and s9 autoset base unit + humidifier. Should I back up both the base unit and humidifier or just the base unit? I have high deductible insurance and almost no current expenses this year so it will all be out of pocket... Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Backup cpap, buy blower or blower + humidifier?
Depends on how badly you need the humidifier. My brother went without a humidifier for years, so it's not that important to him. If the humidifier failed, he could go a couple of weeks without while waiting for a replacement. I can't breathe after a few hours of no humidity. I only need a small amount, but MUST HAVE that small amount.

If not using a humidifier doesn't interrupt your sleep, then you can buy the backup without it - humidifiers will be around as long as second wind and craigslist is around.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Mosquitobait! I'm in your camp, I use my humidifier every day. In fact, I've never tried cpap therapy without a humidifier... Hmmm, I'll have to give it a try. Results could easily sway the decision.

I grew up in Minnesota so I know all about mosquitos, your state bird, errr, insect... Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
We were going to be out two nights in our travel trailer in May (I have a battery pack) andI'd never gone without my humidifier, temp set pretty high and heated hose the same on doctor's suggestion--I have trouble with a stuffy nose that nothing much helps. Nose hasn't been a problem. I didn't see any difference in comfort without the humidified air and didn't use it for a weel or so at home. when I got a mild cold I did turn it back on at a much lower setting, then went to passover humidification (water in tank, no heat or heated hose. My AHI level actually dropped.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2016, 08:16 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: We were going to be out two nights in our travel trailer in May (I have a battery pack) andI'd never gone without my humidifier, temp set pretty high and heated hose the same on doctor's suggestion--I have trouble with a stuffy nose that nothing much helps. Nose hasn't been a problem. I didn't see any difference in comfort without the humidified air and didn't use it for a weel or so at home. when I got a mild cold I did turn it back on at a much lower setting, then went to passover humidification (water in tank, no heat or heated hose. My AHI level actually dropped.

I suspect that impact is more common than many imagine.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I wanted to add that after a year, I finally found an S9 for my backup on Craigslist. I paid about $300 plus shipping. This one turned out to have very low run hours, so even better. Has machine plus HI5 humidifer, case, new hose and humidifier insert.

If you are a camper, you might do better with a Respironics 560 auto as your backup. Right now you can pick them up for $250-300 and they run off a 12 volt battery.

I'm always surprised on the unrealistic pricing of cpaps on craigslist. A LOT of people are asking as much as it costs new from online stores and there is no warranty. It's no wonder they stay listed month and month with no takers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,337 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 202 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  S9 Blower Motor vk3hjq 105 16,367 01-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Julio Bigtime
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.