Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin straps
Chin straps
Hello! I am new to this forum and have been using a CPAP machine since Monday night. The pressure is still in test mode for another couple of weeks. I am trying to learn as much as I can to make this as comfortable experience as possible.

I am using a nasal pillow and was given a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. The first night I was unable to keep the chin strap on as I kept feeling like I wasn't getting enough air. I kept yawning over and over and eventually threw it across the room. I'm even yawning right now just thinking about that chin strap!

I'm sure it is all psychological but I just can't imagine not being able to open my mouth at all while I'm sleeping. Can anyone shed some light on what I need to do here?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin straps
Welcome Austin!

sounds like you really need a full face mask. I'm in the same boat as you and need to have an open mouth while sleeping. even then i still use a chip strap to reduce mask leaks from too much mouth opening.

i've found this part of the process to be all trial and error.

best of luck
Paul.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, Austin. Welcome to the board.

If you are not having mouth leaks you won't need a chin strap. If you do need the chin strap perhaps you can wear it while you are not sleeping to get used to it. I wouldn't be able to use nasal pillows if I didn't wear one.

Keep in mind that the chin strap is only supposed to help you keep your mouth closed. It only needs to be tight enough to do so. If it is adjustable maybe you can play with the tension to make it a little more comfortable.

Good luck with your treatment.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Austin
It takes time and patience to get used to any part of the cpap experience. Some of the things that helped me cope was that I put the chin strap on over the pillows mask. Also I had to go to a larger size pillow insert. My original prescription was a starting pressure of 4 and I felt starved for air until an event happened and the machine raised it. I raised it to 5 and am thinking of going higher.

After 3 months I have learned to yawn any time the urge strikes. Just has to be less than 10 seconds or it registers an apnea.

It can be discouraging at times but it gets better.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Austin,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with finding a chinstrap.
Hang in there for more suggestions, much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Austin. Welcome to the Apnea Board.

Is your chin strap adjustable? It sounds like it may be too tight.

Do you normally have any problems breathing comfortably through your nose while you're sleeping without CPAP? If you do, you may need a full-face mask.

What is your starting CPAP pressure? The standard machines range from 4-20 cm H2O. If your equipment provider didn't change the bottom number, that will put you at 4 cm, which doesn't seem to be enough pressure for most people to feel like they can get enough air. If you're starting off at 4 cm, you might ask to get that changed to 5.

You could also experiment with sleeping without the chin strap. If you are opening your mouth too much, it will show up as "large leak" and your machine will tell you.

I just switched to nasal pillows about 3 weeks ago. I noticed the first few nights that I used them that I could feel the pressure trying to push my tongue forward (which will let air leak from the mouth if it moves far enough.) I adapted after about 3 nights, and I don't feel that anymore.

I really, really like the nasal pillows. There's almost nothing on my face compared to other types of masks. The trade-off, though, is having to be able to keep your mouth closed, or at least closed enough not to cause large leaks.

(06-09-2016, 04:09 PM)Austin Wrote: Hello! I am new to this forum and have been using a CPAP machine since Monday night. The pressure is still in test mode for another couple of weeks. I am trying to learn as much as I can to make this as comfortable experience as possible.

I am using a nasal pillow and was given a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. The first night I was unable to keep the chin strap on as I kept feeling like I wasn't getting enough air. I kept yawning over and over and eventually threw it across the room. I'm even yawning right now just thinking about that chin strap!

I'm sure it is all psychological but I just can't imagine not being able to open my mouth at all while I'm sleeping. Can anyone shed some light on what I need to do here?

Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 598 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 367 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,111 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,172 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 299 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.