Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Spare CPAP
Money 
Spare CPAP
Hey Everyone,
You have all been so helpful in the past, I thought I'd try this one!

I have a seasonal camp that I go to all spring, summer, fall on weekends. I would love to just keep a spare at camp. I have the resmed AS 10 at home and it is great, but I can not afford the spend that much for a spare.

Those of you that have a spare for a vacation place or travel, please share your thoughts on what to get and where to get one for small money.

Thanks to all of you!!

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Spare CPAP
Resmed s9's are the previous generation and are discounted. Secondwind, on the approved seller list, has slightly used s9's for a great price. I'd look for an autoset with a humdifier. You can save money if you don't need/buy a humidifer. There's not a lot of difference between s9 and s10 performance wise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed Autosense 10 ?? What does your machine say in the lower right corner?

Are you going to have access to AC electrical power? The answer depends upon that.
There are some bargains on new, previous generation Phillips Respironics machines that can run directly off 12 Volts.

If you'll have AC power, then probably better to stick with ResMed. Perhaps the S9 (previous generation) equivalent of your 10 series.
Check Supplier #2 on the Supplier list at the top of the page. They have low hour, zero hour open box, and some new unopened S9s.

Remember in the USA, you'll have to present a prescription to buy (or transfer) a PAP machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Try craigslist. There are always lots of them for sale there. The Respironics System One machines, which are a generation or two older than the current Dream Station models, are nice when camping because you can also run them directly off a 12 volt car or boat battery.

Supplier #2 sells used machines.

By the way, you have a pretty wide range of pressures there. Looking at your data in SleepyHead might tell us some ways in which you could narrow that range an optimize your therapy. Also, if your second machine is a fixed pressure CPAP we'd need to look at the data to find a good fixed pressure for you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Everyone. I appreciate the help

Yes, I will have AC power.

Sleepster,
I have been studying my pressures closely for about a year now. The majority of the night, I stay nice and low with only an occasional apnea, then around 03:00 and again about 05:00 I just hit clusters of up to 15 episodes lasting up to 20 seconds {according to the data} and that is when the machine really needs to ramp up and it corrects them. For the night, I average an AHI of 2-4, but during the 2 periods {isolated down to 1 hour blocks} I jump to AHI of 15 - 20.

Thanks again,
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
If your pressure consistently hits the max of 14 and stays there, you might want to try raising it to 15. On the other hand, if it never reaches anything close to 14 you could lower it.

Whatever that is, you'll likely need to set a fixed pressure machine at that value. You could try putting your machine in fixed pressure mode at that setting to see if you can tolerate it. If you can, then you could save a lot of money with a fixed pressure machine as your back up. It could even be a brick. You should be able to get one for around $100 US.

I've gotten some great deals buying machines on craigslist. Even made a profit selling one! I have my original machine which cuts out, so I don't trust it but keep it around in case spare parts are needed. In addition to that, I have two back up machines. One is a ResMed S9 VPAP Auto for traveling to places that have electricity, the other is a fixed pressure System One BiPAP that can run directly off battery power when needed. Both were bought on craigslist.

If you do find one on craigslist make sure you learn how to get into the clinician's menu to check the number of hours on the blower motor before you buy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spare machine or wait? David Clark 7 858 04-11-2022, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 - What spare parts to keep on hand? Phil7 17 1,756 09-20-2021, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Spare CPAP supplies Big Guy 6 959 07-11-2020, 01:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  University of Cal COVID-19: UC researchers seeking spare PAP machines Dormeo 7 1,380 04-04-2020, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Advice on spare machine for weekend vacation house signal13 13 2,935 05-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Picked up a new PR 560 for a spare. Use it or store it? Terry 7 2,108 12-18-2015, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Terry
  [Equipment] Spare Backup or Travel Unit GoodNightSleep 7 3,596 05-24-2015, 08:16 PM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.