Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Easy Way to Clean/Sanitize Hose
RE: Easy Way to Clean/Sanitize Hose
I use vinegar and water, too, but in closer to a 1:10 ratio. I usually use my washing machine for a soaking basin, mostly because my kitchen sink can't be relied on not to leak. I may have washed the hose on the "Gentle" cycle a few times, even though the RT at my DME specifically told me not to do that.

I usually just wash the hose under running water from the bathtub faucet using warm water and dish soap, though. The vinegar soaking is more of a monthly thing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Player, the fitting I use is one that came from one of my DMEs somewhere along the line, not sure what I had it for. Did I say common? Maybe I was oversimplifying. Your DME will probably have it and may just put one in with your next supply order if you request it.
Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2016, 10:36 PM)pupcamper Wrote:
(06-11-2016, 09:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Vinegar stinks! If you want to acid sanitize get some Star San.

I agree. Vinegar does stink. I know I saw you post how to use Star San in another post, but I can't find it. Where do you purchase it and how do you mix it?

Star San is sold as a brewer's sanitizer and is used in many commercial kitchens. Any home-brew site or Amazon will sell it. Star San is very concentrated and is mixed 1-Ounce to 5-Gallons, or 1.5 cc to 1-quart. It is odorless and does not require rinsing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that some heated hoses shouldn't be immersed in water.

Control III disinfectant is the "gold standard" in some ways. Read the instructions. The concentrate is a fairly strong chemical, but the properly diluted mix is pretty benign.

Note that it's a germ killer, not necessarily a cleaner.

To kill germs on your hose, you can use hot water. Read the ResMed info in the Useful Links in my signature line at the bottom of this post. Note that you don't use boiling water, you need to use 70-75° C water.

If you don't have a heated hose, replacement hoses are pretty cheap online, especially eBay. Most insurance will buy a new hose every 6 months. You really need at least one spare anyway.

Keep the old hoses as spares if they're not too grungy. Occasionally, thoroughly clean one of your hoses, dry it, and then set it aside for a week or two to thoroughly dry out. That will probably help keep the germ and mold growth potential down.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 448 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,287 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.