Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ANY BENEFIT WHILE AWAKE
ANY BENEFIT WHILE AWAKE
I have noticed that when I wake up, hit the alarm snooze button but remain somewhat awake, I generate a few additional events.

Is there any benefit to continuing with therapy once you are awake? (I do not fall back asleep after my initial wakefulness.)
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ANY BENEFIT WHILE AWAKE
From what I have read in other posts you are talking about sleep/wake junk and as long as you are going to stay awake there is no benefit in continuing the treatment. In fact, you can lower your AHI by turning your machine and not recording the junk without affecting your treatment.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I know that I won't fall back asleep, I turn off the machine. And laze there enjoying the warm, comfortable bed. Grin I do love my bed. CPAP has no benefit when you are actually awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2016, 12:04 AM)chill Wrote: If I know that I won't fall back asleep, I turn off the machine. And laze there enjoying the warm, comfortable bed. Grin I do love my bed. CPAP has no benefit when you are actually awake.

I wouldn't do that because you might fall asleep without again the machine on and that can't be a good thing.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I only do it if I know I won't fall back asleep. Which generally means that I am wide awake already and have a meeting to get up for. Otherwise the mask stays on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I toss it on when I'm lazing only because my oxygen level drops below 90 quite often when lying down or in a recliner resting. Not sure what impact the low oxygen level has other than mild giddiness, but it worries me because I read its not good. The machine keeps the oxygen at a better level, and its there just in case I do fall asleep for awhile.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks folks. -- steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
It can't hurt anything but not really helpful for the most part unless you have respiratory problems
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 674 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question Could I benefit from going to BiPap VAuto? vinhuard 29 1,686 01-31-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: vinhuard
  [Health] AWAKE AHI? newtothis1 12 718 01-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] High pressure at midnight causing awake makazaik 5 670 08-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Haven't tried to sleep with it but regular breathing while awake is nice too. erouting 2 523 08-23-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: erouting
  [Treatment] Low AHI/RDI with CPAP but still jolting awake every night boogiemoogie 0 488 08-09-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: boogiemoogie
Question [CPAP] Are AHI levels artificially lowered if you run CPAP while awake? sleepydragon 0 499 04-04-2023, 03:15 PM
Last Post: sleepydragon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.