Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long will the daytime sleepiness go away if I'm getting the right treatment?
How long will the daytime sleepiness go away if I'm getting the right treatment?
Hi there, new to the forum and the world of sleep apnea. I probably already have daytime sleepiness for a very long time, but it's been getting very bad this last few years, with the addition of brain fog. Exercise and meditation helped a lot with the brain fog, but I still have a lot of sleepiness. I slept for 7-9 hours a day. I feel the quality generally is quite good. But I still feel sleepy, even after a lot of naps.

So after a couple of blood tests and a sleep study, my doctor found that I have sleep apnea with AHI of 16, only when I'm sleeping on my back. She said this may the cause of my sleepiness, but she can't be sure, as she said 16 is "only" considered moderate (she also said I may have depression, which I don't feel so). But since it's the only thing that we found, I embarked on a journey to get the treatment for sleep apnea.

I was lend a cpap machine for 2 weeks, which wasn't very successful. I don't like the feeling of the hose around my neck. I couldn't move as freely as I used to. Dryness on my throat which was alleviate with the humidifier though. My sleep quality declined when I was using it. I always found the mask was not on my face anymore in the middle of the night. And it didn't help with my sleepiness. Also hate the idea of having to bring it all along when I'm travelling.

So after 2 weeks, I returned the machine, thinking of trying another treatment. Right now I'm trying the tennis ball approach, where I put 2 tennis balls on my back. While I can't be 100% certain, I think it does help keep me sleep on my side. It's only been about day 4. Not a very good sleep at day 1 and 2, but I think it's getting better. I still have strong sleepiness though.

So if this tennis balls approach does work, how long can I expect the sleepiness to go away?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long will the daytime sleepiness go away if I'm getting the right treatment?
You can fight it, deny it, refuse it... But if you accept cpap treatment you will never go back. The process of getting up and running is really flawed on the clinical and medical side, but get through the hurdles, the hoses and masks and feel sooo much better.

If you get the right mask for you, a good machine, and learn to use Sleepyhead software to monitor your nights, things get pretty good.

This site is a wealth of information and help.

I recommend you try again. If you can buy an Apap unit, which will automatically adjust the pressure from a set low to a set high. Cpap is constant pressure, which won't change if you need it.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long will the daytime sleepiness go away if I'm getting the right treatment?
A Dreamwear mask which has the hose on the top of the head will solve at least one of your problems
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there Susilosaja! You are in the right place to share your concerns! You are in a very hard situation in your life right now.
Just the idea of having all the equipment is so over whelming...with sleepiness adding to the feelings of face cover, tubes
around head & neck...it feels horrible doesn't it? While you search for answers, go slow, do not turn away for change, it WILL get
better, you need to give yourself time to get quality, restful sleep. Have you tried sleeping with your head and shoulders, elevated
slightly above naval line? Like a large pillow behind your back, and try just wearing the mask around the house a hour or so before
calming down before sleep. Or you can try wearing just the mask while relaxing.
Even though you don't want to accept the mask, the tubing, & the machine, it WILL give you good rest & sleep you so desperately need. A good mask can help control the tubing away from your neck, be patient with yourself and be straightforward with your doctor,
this change will be a blessing to you. Please give it time! Much luck to you!

I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having to be "hooked up" is about the worst thing I can imagine, but the bad affects of sleep apnea went away quickly. However, other problems are introduced. These problems will improve as you "accept" the treatment. After 3 months I am still adjusting.

BUT, the good by FAR outweighs the bad and the remaining bad is only an inconvenience which will go away as you get used to therapy.

I do not lay down for even a minute with out the mask on. Yesterday I had a one hour power nap and felt totally refreshed.

Hang in there, it's not an easy road to go down but it pay dividends.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you a mouth breather or breath through your nose when you sleep?

What brand and model of mask(s) did you try?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2016, 03:08 AM)holden4th Wrote: A Dreamwear mask which has the hose on the top of the head will solve at least one of your problems

I got this mask last week (after the original DME wanted me in a FF Mask) and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT)! Makes a world of difference and I too sleep on my side!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Susilosaja! My daytime fog mostly lifted within a week of getting effective treatment (7 hours sleep, mask on all night, no major leaks, low AHI). I have been on CPAP about three months now and am often still sleepy in the day time (though my mind is clear). I think this is because I wake several times at night. It takes time for your body and mind to fully adjust to CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi susilosaja,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you will reconsider your decision. CPAP therapy can take some getting used to and it can be trial and error with the mask. You may need to try several before you find the right mask that will work for you.
I want to encourage you to try again.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the kind responses guys! Happy to find a forum where people are actively helping each other.

(06-13-2016, 05:42 AM)player Wrote: Are you a mouth breather or breath through your nose when you sleep?

What brand and model of mask(s) did you try?

I've no idea whether I'm a mouth or nose breather. How do I tell? Both my machine and mask are philips respironics. Don't really know the machine model, but I think there's a writing "A10" or "C10". I dont have the machine anymore but I still have the mask. I will post the mask's model later today. All I know right now is that mine is not a full-face mask.

So from the responses here and reading some other threads, it seems that cpap is the most used and considered the most effective treatment. I'm not 100% dismissing cpap. I understand my trial is pretty short. I don't like it, but I'll probably have to give it another try if all else fails.

I'm just considering the alternatives. I'm probably lucky that my OSA is not as severe as many others. And I'm lucky it only happened when sleeping on my back. After reading a bit about positional therapy, I feel like I can tolerate this approach better. If I can make myself stay on my side, wouldn't it completely eliminate my OSA? I don't know though if these devices are effective in doing that. I haven't find many testimony. What do you guys think?

I just received Rematee bumper belt this morning. Will probably try it tonight. I'm also considering Night Shift.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 121 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 97 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 281 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 197 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,016 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.