Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak?
Leak?
What does the Leak measurement tell us? Mine says Median 12.0 95th % 99.6 Max 123.6. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak?
Your median leak rate is 12.0 liters per minute. That means that half the time your leak rate is above 12.0 L/min, and the other half of the time it's below 12.0 L/min. I think your machine can deliver effective therapy with a leak rate as high as 25 L/min, so you don't want to go above that.

95% of the time you're below 99.6 L/min, which means that 5% of the time you're above 99.6 L/min. That's not good! It indicates that your mask needs adjusting, or perhaps you need a different mask. It takes some trial and error to find a mask that fits you well and is comfortable. This is something you can talk to your doctor and equipment provider about. Providers and insurance companies allow for mask exchanges because they know how difficult it is for patients to find a good-fitting mask that doesn't leak.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2012, 06:46 PM)jfmusil Wrote: What does the Leak measurement tell us? Mine says Median 12.0 95th % 99.6 Max 123.6. Thanks
It tell us we've got a leak problem and at this leak rate the AHI data can be trusted to be accurate.
Resmed machines report mask leak (unintentional leak) and define large leak above 24 L/min (above the red line on the Resscan leak graph). The red sad face shows on the machine sleep quality report when leak at or above 24 L/min for least 30% of the night. 99.6 L/min is the 95% percentile leak rate. You were leaking at or below 99.6 L/min for 95% of the night and higher for 5% of the time (123.6 L/min)
What mask are you using? Its normal to go through several masks to find the right one. You can exchange the mask within 30 days from your DME. Check the mask user guide fitting instruction and this guide may help too
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using a Resmed Quattro Full Face mask. I found a leak in the hose and now have a green happy face on my display.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 29 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 236 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 151 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.