Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Turned 30, OSA dx, now CPAP
RE: Turned 30, OSA dx, now CPAP
(07-14-2016, 08:57 PM)jedirye Wrote: They said I have sleep apnea. I never thought I would. I just got my CPAP today. It's the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. I thought I would only get the Elite. I'm not sure if I even need the Autoset. I liked how the Elite could detect centrals. I don't think the Autoset can.

The autoset does everything the "elite" does and a lot more. Be happy they gave you the better machine. It does detect centrals.

Now download SleepyHead and learn to read your data and use it to improve your therapy.

30 is youngish to get SA, but there are teenagers out there with it, so it's by no means rare
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well I've literally probably had this my whole life. I have always slept 12 to 14hrs and napped all the time. My family and friends would say, "You'll grow out of it." When 30 approached, figured I'd get it checked out and maybe have a thyroid issue. I'm not the stereotypical CPAP person; I'm a relatively fit female firefighter. Oh well. Guess we know now there is no stereotypical anything with apnea. Lugging this thing to work is a pain though. At least this is super quiet and won't wake anyone up.

Still adjusting to it though. Night 2 was not better. I'll DL my data after work and see what the last 2 nights were...

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
The chances are good that you are not the "default" user and will need some comfort settings adjusted, humidity, temperature, EPR. Check out your manual to know what options you have and how to adjust them-they are not therapy settings. Look at your data and take into account how you are feeling/sleeping.

Lugging the CPAP is lighter than a laptop or a large book, you'll get used to it. Just something to bring.
Post Reply Post Reply
There will definitely be some adjustment. Last night I had an AHI of 10... :/ I tightened my mask a little bit. That might have been a mistake.

Also, anyone have trouble with air coming out of their mouth? With the ramp up, it's fine but then as I'm falling asleep, it ramps the pressure up, fills up my cheeks, comes out my mouth, and wakes me up. I also find that air is coming out of my mouth periodically during the night. Is the pressure too high or is this part of adjustment?

I ended up sleeping 8hrs with CPAP then took it off and slept another 4....

Is the Wiki guide the one people use for the SleepyHead software?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
You have "mouth leak" pretty dang standard for many. Lots of threads with people fighting it. Full Face Mask (FFM), chin strap, holding your tongue at the top of your mouth, tape..... Pretty sure everything has been tried. I use an Amara View minimal FFM and then don't worry about it. As with anything there are tricks to try and figure what works for you. You also need to get used to just how much of a leak is bad, I used to wake up at the slightest leak and now I may or many not even check the data in the morning.

I use the tongue trick, we do it all the time in real life or you could not swallow water or breathe only through your nose with your mouth open, how do you keep from fluid going into your lungs while asleep? It's the tongue thing, you can train it.

WIth masks, tighter is not always better. It has to be tight enough to not let the pressure blow out the silicone seal but not so tight crush the same seal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  AirSense 11 turned off while in use; why??? rpierce 4 1,454 07-23-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense autoset 11 can I disable blowing again after turned off? plaidwandering 5 1,730 01-09-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  [CPAP] device starts blowing about 30 mins after being turned off willid3 3 1,125 08-25-2022, 11:22 AM
Last Post: willid3
  TURNED EPR OFF! Michael Shaw 15 3,422 09-28-2019, 07:16 PM
Last Post: vroomvroom
  Bariatric surgery: OAs turned into CAs and Hs RumbleRumble 4 1,319 11-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: RumbleRumble
  Can the Resmed autosense 10 be turned off remotley cylon452 9 5,045 12-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.