Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can CPAP therapy cause Total Clear Airway Apneas
Can CPAP therapy cause Total Clear Airway Apneas
Do you feel it is possible for CPAP therapy to cause total clear airway apneas? I have been researching this and find opinions that it is possible. My sleep study in the beginning showed no central apneas, however over the last month when I began CPAP therapy, the number of total clear airway apneas pops up 1 or 2 sporadically but not every night. I am hoping that it will not increase especially if there is something I can do myself to lower the numbers. 1 or 2 does not seem that high but I would rather have 0 total clear airway apneas. My other numbers last night were 2.4 AHI . . 5 Obstructive Apneas. . 9 Hypopneas. Since beginning, I am averaging below 5 AHI which is pleasing but should I be concerned about the CA?
Thanks for taking my questions Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can CPAP therapy cause Total Clear Airway Apneas
One or two CA's isn't bad. When they occur and how long they last is another consideration. Remember, an event is recorded if it last 10 seconds or longer. That isn't much time at all. Usually a CA may occur while you are either going to sleep or while you're waking up. . . when your breathing becomes irregular. This is commonly referred to as sleep garbage.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate your reply. It helps somewhat to ease my mind. I will keep a watch on the duration and if they increase. Thanks Crimson Nape.
Post Reply Post Reply
Often higher pressures increase central apneas because there's more air intake more often. Someone also mentioned to examine the CA's to evaluate them more carefully. Not all CA's are the same/equal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 154 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,337 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,396 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 537 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.