Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP Machine Issues
CPAP Machine Issues
I have been using a CPAP machine for the past 8 years. My SA is pretty severe, my auto pressure settings are set from 13-20 and average pressure is just under 14. So I have been using my CPAP for a long time and know without it I can barely function.

Around the end of May I suddenly had issues using my CPAP. I had a hard time figuring out what the issue was, but all of a sudden it just felt uncomfortable and like I couldn't breathe with it on. It seemed like the pressure adjustments when I breathed in and out were off. Like when I would exhale I would have high resistance and then it would drop way off. Similar on inhale, the pressure would be way too low and then it would adjust to the correct pressure. This made it so annoying to try and sleep I couldn't use it.

I made an appointment with a tech at the place I had my sleep study. All he did was check to make sure that the pressure was correct. I explained to him that I thought the EMR function wasn't working correctly, but he just made me make an appointment with a Dr. It took a few weeks and the PA basically said I needed to do another sleep study and that I probably needed to BIPAP machine. She said my AHI was just over 6. Again I tried to explain that I thought something was wrong with my CPAP but she wouldn't address it. She started the paperwork for another sleep study. In the meantime I am feeling the full effects now, soooo tired during the day, falling alseep at work, headaches in the morning etc. etc. and just all around feeling terrible.

So last night I remembered I have a buddy that has mild SA but never uses his machine. He also has a Resmed S9, so I borrowed his machine and thanks to this sight I was able to program the pressure up to 13 and tried his machine last night. I used my mask/headgear etc. so the only thing different was the CPAP machine and what a difference! It felt like I didn't have a mask on, and I slept all night with no issues. I used it for 7 hours and when I checked this morning my AHI was 1.4. I feel great today.

So what should I do? My CPAP is 2 years old. Can they be fixed or do I need to buy a new one? Will my Dr. force me to have another sleep study? I have a $2000 deductible so I'll have to pay for it out of pocket...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Machine Issues
Sounds like a pressure sensor is bad. Have you done all the checks to make sure the filter is clean and no obstructions in the air path of the machine? At least as far as you can see into it.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Most ResMed machines have a 2 year warranty. If you are now over that you can probably get it fixed but it will cost.

a new machine will be much lower than your deductible. Last I looked, a new Airsense 10 was around 700-800 ish. You might check with some of the suppliers (link at the top of every page) and see if any have a sale. You'll need the prescription from your doctor to buy one.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
If your machine is 2 years old, it is probably out of warranty. Possibly take it elsewhere and have it looked at and get an estimate for repair.

When was your last Sleep Study, and what is the basis for the PA to think you need a bilevel? Did she have data to look at? If they have data supporting that you may need a bilevel, then yes, they can request a sleep study.

In the meantime, was there an SD card in your S9? If yes, download the SleepyHead software and upload a screenshot for us to look at.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

If it turns out you need a new machine, and since your deductible is so high, it would be cheaper to buy online.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2016, 11:34 AM)AlanE Wrote: Sounds like a pressure sensor is bad. Have you done all the checks to make sure the filter is clean and no obstructions in the air path of the machine? At least as far as you can see into it.

I put a fresh air filter on recently, but I will check to make sure the airflow is not blocked in anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2016, 11:41 AM)OpalRose Wrote: If your machine is 2 years old, it is probably out of warranty. Possibly take it elsewhere and have it looked at and get an estimate for repair.

When was your last Sleep Study, and what is the basis for the PA to think you need a bilevel? Did she have data to look at? If they have data supporting that you may need a bilevel, then yes, they can request a sleep study.

In the meantime, was there an SD card in your S9? If yes, download the SleepyHead software and upload a screenshot for us to look at.

If it turns out you need a new machine, and since your deductible is so high, it would be cheaper to buy online.

My last sleep study was 2 years ago when I got this machine. The only reason she said I might need a bilevel machine was because of the issues I have been having. I do have an SD card in my old machine and I will post data when I can. I have never paid attention to my data before, but I am going to start keeping track now. I think when you have issues it will make it easier to resolve them.
Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds to me like they thought your issues were due to changes in your OSA, not a defective machine. You seem to have proved that the problem lies in the machine. You might have some success if you point out to them that your problems go away on a different S9 machine, but you will still be paying a premium for a new machine from them.

Google "CPAP Repair" for a place that services these machine. You might find the repair cost more than the replacement. Supplier #2 (see list at top of page) usually has very good prices on machines that are not the most recent version (e.g. the S9 series). You will need your prescription for that, and if you don't have a copy your doctor may be reluctant to give it to you if they thing you need a Bi-Level machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
If I do have to get a new machine, does this site have a list of suggested models?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2016, 01:39 PM)vortex13 Wrote: If I do have to get a new machine, does this site have a list of suggested models?

This list may help you choose and what to avoid.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2016, 02:14 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(07-19-2016, 01:39 PM)vortex13 Wrote: If I do have to get a new machine, does this site have a list of suggested models?

This list may help you choose and what to avoid.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Thanks! The only thing I hate about my Resmed S9 is the power brick, do some of the suggested models not have a power brick or at least something more reasonable?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 52 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 86 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 187 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.