Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changing Settings
RE: Changing Settings
OP should have registered with the user name IPreachCpap.

I wouldn't have a problem consulting with a professional IF:
1. I could get an appointment more quickly. The delays degrade the effectiveness of CPAP therapy and contribute to noncompliance. I have needed to make multiple adjustments to make CPAP work for me. I imagine it would have taken a year to get everything sorted out if I was dependent on the doctor or RT to manage my care. The delays drove me to Craigslist and the boards.
2. ...they didn't turn you away or take away your machine if you run into insurance problems. I think the professionals are interested mostly in protecting their revenue stream. Once I recover financially, I will still know how to manage my own care. I'm sure that the establishment would have preferred that I turn to a charity program for care--but those programs have waiting lists and limited resources. They can help one more person if I can manage my own care.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your replies. And special thanks to SuperSleeper.

Before I post anything else on this thread I'll probably give iTeachCpap a week or two to respond (after all, he's probably a very busy professional and might not be able to check the Board very often), to see if he will at least try to create something positive out of this opportunity to teach Cpap.

Take care, all.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2012, 02:06 AM)vsheline Wrote: I have two requests or questions.

iDON'TteachCPAP, but I'd like to try and answer your questions.

Quote:The first is whether you are able to offer any observations on whether the EPR setting has any influence on the incidence of centrals.

BiPAP therapy can induce central apnea. It's done it to me and the results of a study were posted here recently describing the effect. I don't know if EPR can do this, but it makes sense to me that it might because the purpose of both BiPAP and EPR is to reduce the pressure upon exhaling. The difference is bigger with BiPAP, though, so it's hard to say if EPR can produce the same effect.

Quote:My second question, or request, is that I am hoping you will share what guidelines or "best practices" are used (or in your view should be used) by sleep professionals in setting the "maximum pressure" of an APAP machine.

For some people, the APAP machine will set itself to too high of a pressure. The maximum pressure should be set a little above the pressure determined during the sleep study and then monitored to see if needs to be raised further or lowered.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This isn't entirely the medical mafia protecting their racket.

If you make the wrong changes to your pressure, you can make your CPAP ineffective and suffer from the possibly deadly effects of apnea.

Remember, many people with severe apnea are sure they don't have apnea. If you start tinkering with your settings, you may think you're doing better, but what you've actually done is just turn the pressure down to a comfortable but ineffective level. I'm sure a lot of the "whiners" would simply turn the pressure down and leave it there because it feels better.

Before your tinker, realize that you are taking on a lot of responsibility. You are taking the risk of making things worse.

Unfortunately, a lot of the doctors, therapists, and DMEs have their head up their mask and just stick the patient with a CPAP machine and never properly follow up to make it work for the patient or bother to check the easily available data to see if the patient's apnea is being treated effectively.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2012, 09:23 PM)archangle Wrote: Unfortunately, a lot of the doctors, therapists, and DMEs have their head up their mask and just stick the patient with a CPAP machine and never properly follow up to make it work for the patient or bother to check the easily available data to see if the patient's apnea is being treated effectively.

You've hit the nail on the head, although I think a lot of the problem is scheduling issues rather than a lack of caring. I experimented with pressures about six week ago, and increased my pressure range from 6-16 to 10-16 using the knowledge I learned on the boards. I contacted my doctor's PA at that time to discuss why I felt the pressure change was necessary, and he recommended the 10-16 range although I did not tell him that I had already set my machine to that range. If I had gone to him with the vague complaint that "the machine's not working," who knows how many consultations would have been necessary. Thank you to everyone on Apnea Board.

I think there is a need for a patient education program for sleep apnea patients, similar to that for diabetes patients. If patients are prepared to talk intelligently to their doctor or RT, the professionals could provide better care. Although I have no doubt that my sleep doctor is dedicated to his profession, I am prepared to go it alone if I have to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2012, 10:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: [Image: soapbox.gif]

[Image: beatdeadhorse.gif]

Okay, I'm now convinced that you people have animated smilies for every conceivable concept or opinion....

Post Reply Post Reply
Kolobok addon for Firefox. I don't use it but another forum I frequent has those two added so I borrowed them.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2012, 10:48 PM)big_dave Wrote: You've hit the nail on the head, although I think a lot of the problem is scheduling issues rather than a lack of caring.

The medical mafia does throw up a lot of unnecessary barriers in order to preserve their profits, but you do need to remember that a large part of the public can't figure out how to setup their TV, change the oil in their car on time, use a GPS, etc.

There are a lot of people out there who shouldn't be tinkering with their CPAP.

Heck, there are a lot of people out there who shouldn't be driving automobiles.

I DON'T condone artificially restricting the ability to adjust your own CPAP, though. I do think we need to be careful to not give the idea that it should be done willy nilly, though.

I think a lot of the poor care from DMEs and doctors IS willful ignorance and turning a blind eye to something that isn't profitable enough. People are very good at convincing themselves that the profitable way is the right way.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2012, 02:20 PM)archangle Wrote: but you do need to remember that a large part of the public can't figure out how to setup their TV, change the oil in their car on time, use a GPS, etc.

There are a lot of people out there who shouldn't be tinkering with their CPAP.
Ohwell I cannot do any of the above but I like to tinker with my APAP
Recently a member from Norway said something like "everybody in Norway given an S9 Autoset"
It prove to me two things;
1- APAP works for most people
2- ResMed cornered the Norwegian market $$$$$ all the way to the bank Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2012, 07:36 PM)vsheline Wrote: Before I post anything else on this thread I'll probably give iTeachCpap a week or two to respond (after all, he's probably a very busy professional and might not be able to check the Board very often)
I've read some of the RT,s spend their time watching TV, surfing the net, on the phone, while making coffee and attending to their patients
Really if OP was interested to respond to this thread would done so already as they say "Strike while the iron is hot"
btw he could also be she (profile - Sex: Undisclosed)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 273 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Surprised Apap- changing settings Swsch2985 2 400 01-06-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.