Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Leaks success Stories
Mask Leaks success Stories
I am asking for stories on how you have solved your mask leaking problems.

Do you have a perfect fit now??
Do you switch back and forth ?
Have you given up looking for a better fit ?
Do you use glue every night ?
What do you do ?

Thanks for replying.Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Leaks success Stories
I started with nasal pillows then nasal mask and moved on to a hybird mask. I now use a full face mask. I can not keep my mouth shut and do not want to use the chinstrap I have. I am on my third Full face mask They keep getting larger (covering more of my face). I have been happy with the last two. I still get leaks. I have another Full face mask yet to try but it is larger still and have not been able to make myself try it.

So at this time I am happy with my mask and suffer the leaks. I still only get 3 to 4 hours of sleep a day.

But CPAP has helped me a lot, wish I had started sooner.

ThanksSleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I just read this link http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ask-issues

It reads as :
At the suggestion of a forum advisor (chill), I just wanted to write about what a godsend a sleep apnea pillow can be if you're having troubles with mask leak or other comfort issues while sleeping on your side, like I used to have.

For anyone who hasn't seen one, they are specially shaped pillows with cutouts for your mask. Most come with a matching pillow cover for washing. Your mask hangs off the edge of the pillow while your head remains supported. They can be stuffed like a traditional pillow or made out of memory foam. I personally found the memory foam version too hard and it still tended to knock my mask off. I've had my filled pillow for years now, and it was a game-changer for me. If you Google "sleep apnea pillows" in Google images, you can see all sorts of available designs.

This is a picture of the pillow that looks closest to what I use:

[Image: Sleep%20Apnea%20Neck%20Pillow.jpg]

Mine was about $50. I've seen versions that are much cheaper - like $15 - but I worried that they weren't as well made or supportive.

I hope this helps some of you! All the best!

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2016, 02:12 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: I can not keep my mouth shut and do not want to use the chinstrap I have.

Have you looked to use a mask like this? http://imgur.com/U7RklCU
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2016, 01:57 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Do you have a perfect fit now??

NO!

(08-17-2016, 01:57 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Do you switch back and forth ?

NO

(08-17-2016, 01:57 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Have you given up looking for a better fit ?

NO

(08-17-2016, 01:57 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Do you use glue every night ?

NO

(08-17-2016, 01:57 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: What do you do ?

I use a Nail Gun http://imgur.com/a/XzzDY

(08-17-2016, 01:57 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Thanks for replying.Sleep-well

Your Welcome!
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask liners for me, no more air blowing into my eyes waking me up, for the first time in years I slept for 8 hrs both nights this weekend
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm happily using a chin strap, which happens to somehow keep the mask from leaking...don't know why, its not tighter or anything.
I put it over the headgear before attaching the tubing (use an ESON mask).
Tried different masks, tried liners, tried pillow.......3 cheers for chin straps in my book !!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had pretty good luck with Arama view mask after trying something. At first it made end of my nose very sore. Then I happened to try lifting the silicon plastic so it fit over the nose, instead of against the tip of my nose. It seems to actually seal better that way.
Another trick I have tried for comfort is just purchase some childrens socks and cut a little hole in the toe and put them over the straps. They are very cheap and you can slide them to where you need them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with the Eson nasal, then when to the Simplus full-face, and final to the P10 pillows. Somewhere in there, I learned to open my mouth and let my tongue flop around while I sleep. :dint-know:

So the Simplus works best for now, though sometimes I wear one of the others and a chin strap. The P10 was the best for leaks, the Simplus has a not more places for it to leak and it leaks more for me above 12 cmH2O. I was up to 16 last night and had to strap it on tighter than I ever had to avoid leaks. I also get a lot of face farts towards morning as my skin gets greasy again. If it bothers me enough, I will get up and wash my face and wipe down the mask.

I've tried cloth mask liners and sticky gel pads. Neither was perfect. The gel ones work well IF you can get it on your mask right and get a good seal. However, as sticky as that material is, the oils on my face could defeat its ability to cling.

I have an F10, Amara View, and Mirage Quattro on the way. Hopefully one of those seals better for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2016, 03:25 PM)icyura10 Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 02:12 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: I can not keep my mouth shut and do not want to use the chinstrap I have.

Have you looked to use a mask like this? http://imgur.com/U7RklCU

I like itThanks

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 46 3,078 04-16-2024, 05:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 445 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 629,662 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 363 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 144 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 641 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 560 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.