Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medical Malpractice Lawsuit Leads to $1.1M Award

A child who suffered a brain injury following surgery for sleep apnea was awarded $1.1 million by a Pennsylvania jury.

Keonte Graham’s surgery was carried out in 2007 when he was 11 months old for sleep apnea—a condition that interferes with breathing during sleep, according to The Patriot News. His doctor recommended surgery to remove his adenoids and tonsils and to insert ear tubes.

The medical malpractice lawsuit states that Graham already had a high risk for surgical complications because of his medical history and that he had to remain in the recovery room for five hours after surgery because he had low oxygen in his blood. The complaint also states that the doctor failed to conduct proper physical exams after the operation and allowed Graham to be placed on a regular-floor room instead of in intensive care, according to The Patriot News. The suit further says the doctor failed to order that Graham be monitored for the level of oxygen in his blood.

The complaint says Graham had to be revived after he was found without a pulse and not breathing, which caused his brain injury.

fair use from:
http://www.cisionwire.com/sokolove-law/r...d,c9278268

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medical Malpractice Lawsuit Leads to $1.1M Award
Heard about this. Pretty sad! This is one reason why surgery is NOT a first course of action as far as I'm concerned. When they talk to you about it they say that there is a "slight chance" of complications, but I bet the parents of this child view "slight chance" differently than most now! I'm willing to be money that my APAP never gives me brain damage!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medical Malpractice Lawsuit Leads to $1.1M Award
You would think that monitoring O2 levels in the blood would be the absolute NORM for any kind of surgery. It's a very simple thing to do... Dont-know
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 961 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  airmini smart stop leads to many on/off events elliotg 4 566 10-18-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Smile An AWARD for FFM users with 0% leaks sleepyzzz 9 924 07-21-2023, 01:33 AM
Last Post: snorin2
  My medical provider called me, they want to schedule my titration study. Should I go? Phil487 8 1,068 07-06-2023, 01:18 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Navigating medical leave zoraa 2 465 06-04-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: zoraa
  3B Medical Luna Auto CPAP PaulaBunyan 4 1,940 06-03-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: johndoh670
  Stress, Medical Procedures, and Centrals mesenteria 2 618 05-13-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.